Will you accept VW's buyback offer? Straw poll

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by chittychittybangbang, Apr 22, 2016.

?

Will you accept VW's buyback offer?

1. Yes

39 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    12.3%
  3. Depends on the dollar amount they offer or how much mpg and performance suffers after being fixed.

32 vote(s)
    39.5%
  1. gothicus

gothicus Member

Car:
    2012 Passat SEL Premium TDI
    It depends. We're having to wait 6 weeks for our appointment date. I was told VW is only doing limited number of appointments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. mknutson

mknutson New Member

Car:
    VW Golf Sportwagen 2015
    Hey all,
    To those that have official buyback appointments, what do they want you to bring , paperwork wise, to the dealer with the car?

3. gothicus

gothicus Member

Car:
    It's in the final paperwork. However I believe title, registration etc. Plus everything that came with car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. lwt42

lwt42 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2017 Subaru Outback
  5. SIF1950

SIF1950 Member

Car:
    Jetta Sportwagen 2014
    Last week we were specifically promised a response by end of business today. We do not have it. We checked to portal website. The reference to ten business days has been removed.

6. SIF1950

SIF1950 Member

Car:
    Jetta Sportwagen 2014
    I double checked the FTC consent order - 10 business days to make offer once notice give that papers in order. The prior website info indicated they would comply with the time limits. I guess VW has reverted to the idea the law and promises be damned. We are so done with VW.

DubFamily likes this.
  7. lwt42

lwt42 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2017 Subaru Outback
    At the end of the October 18th final settlement hearing, the Hon. Charles Breyer asked that everyone be patient with the process.

I don't think anyone expected more than 200,000 cars to be subject to the 10 business day deadline starting all on the same day, and my interpretation of the Judges' comments is that under the circumstances, he's not going to get too upset if VW misses deadlines as long as they try.

You don't have to take my word for it. The transcript is here: http://www.cand.uscourts.gov/filelibrary/2864/Oct-18-Transcript.pdf

gothicus likes this.
  8. SIF1950

SIF1950 Member

Car:
    Jetta Sportwagen 2014
    So, called the settlement phone line. I can say that they were polite. I did get to a supervisor. I mentioned that I am a retired attorney and I recall that one failed to comply with Federal Court orders at one's peril and mentioned the 10 days. As I said, they were quite nice. I was informed that the offer had been generated on November 7th, five days after I was notified the documents were in. They said that it was then sent out for independent review of some type. Their deadline is December 2nd.

9. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Car:
    2015 VW Golf TDI
    IIRC, they'd already had something on the order of 300,000 registrations by that date, so anybody who didn't expect such a number of claims by that time wasn't paying attention.

10. lwt42

lwt42 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2017 Subaru Outback
    Even if you roll back the schedule to July 29th (the first day registrations were allowed), processing 200,000 buy-backs in 80 business days is a big order. Without the court-approved settlement, they could collect and process some -- that would also help with hiring and training the processing staff.

The October 25th ruling confirms the appointment Ankura Consulting Group LLC as the Claims Supervisors. Everything VW does has to pass through their fingers too (and I understand they get 10 business days as well). I'm sure they were working in advance as well, but all of the "get-ahead" work is at-risk of a change to the settlement.

While I'm sure they were paying attention, the terms were "set" on July 28th when they presented it to the Judge, and once the flood started, there was no way to jump in a TARDIS and say "hey, wait a minute, this is a formula for disaster."

That's why the Honorable Charles R. Breyer (not VW and not the PSC) asks for patience.

11. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
    '12 Golf TDI sold to VW 2/8/17
    Immaterial. The court documents called for a response time, and all parties agreed to it. VW knew it had on the order of 500,000 cars/owners to process theoretically; if it was not prepared to do ALL 500,000 within 10 business days then it should have amended the court settlement.

Now they have no excuse, and anyone making an excuse for them, including the judge, is flat wrong.

frodoz737 likes this.
  12. lwt42

lwt42 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2017 Subaru Outback
    Let's do a little thought experiment.

Let's say a trained employee can go through three claims per hour, on average. They work an 8 hour day.

That's 24 claims per day per employee.

500,000 claims divided by ten (business) days, divided by 24 claims/employee means hiring 2084 claims processors. Not sure how many supervisors.

The Claims Supervisor (not VW) also gets 10 business days (an important point, but one that hasn't been clear outside the court documents), and while they might be able to review claims more quickly, that's a lot of fingers for each document to go through.

I didn't mention lien-holders (banks), but I don't think their time counts.

Formally amending the settlement would require all parties to negotiate the change, and then require another preliminary approval, another hearing for objections, and take another two months.

... or everyone can be patient and let the process continue as quickly as it can.

The important thing is when people get their checks. VW has 90 days to take back your car after you accept the offer, and three days after they take the car to actually pay you. Call it 113 (business) days from the beginning of the claim until you get your check.

That's April 8th, 2017. I think most of us will have their checks before April 8th.

I'm leaving for the dealership in a half-hour. From there, I'm going to visit the bank and deposit my check -- 90 business days early.

13. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
    '12 Golf TDI sold to VW 2/8/17
    Once again, your point is immaterial... VW agreed to a settlement that included specific timelines they must follow. "Forgiving" them for not following those does nothing and is useless. They should be held to the requirements set, it is really that simple.

Congratulations on your check; it is quite clear why you have no problem "being patient" at this point....

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    frodoz737 likes this.
  14. lwt42

lwt42 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2017 Subaru Outback
    Do you know exactly what the "requirements" are? I haven't read enough of the court documents to actually know.

Either way, you are correct that I have no need to be patient, either with VW, the claims process, or the sheer angst in this forum.

Sorry to have bothered you.

15. DrGirlfriend

DrGirlfriend New Member

Car:
    2013 JSW TDI
    Mods:
    Winter snow tires
    For my paranoid friend, and anyone else wondering, how did the pay-off meeting go? What was the process at your delivered dealer? Did the check bounce yet?

My friend has a Dec 6th appointment and is worrying about scratches on the bumper skin, is if he's selling a used car on craigslist. I read the odometer is all they care about. Was the final amount more or less than the 'calculator' back in July stated?

The reason I need to know is that since this whole buy-back process started, I've been 'appropriating' non-essential extras off the car - RCD-510, 9w7 bluetooth module, wheels/tires (pull-off crap rims/rubber put on just to drive it to the dealership that final day), AC inverter from rear of console, exterior mirror glass, bluetooth mic, misc wiring harnesses, etc. I bought a used VW (07 EOS) and repurposed this stuff to modernize it.

So please tell me if I drive in with a naked carcass but under its own power, they don't bring out a lawyer and tear up the check..

Thanks for breaking the ice for us...

16. gothicus

gothicus Member

Car:
  17. B7tdaye

B7tdaye Member

Car:
    Vw passat 2013 Tdi SE
    Scheduled my appt 12/16/16 woohoo.

gothicus likes this.
  18. Ismailb97

Ismailb97 New Member

I have a 13 Jetta Tdi with 30k miles...I am going to be taking the money and keeping my car. Pretty much a brand new car, 2k left to pay it off and I'm set with it.... Whatever they decide with the fix it doesn't bother me 10% decrease in mpg isn't that bad for example hwy to work 45 mpg, fix brings me to 40.5 which isn't bad. I see no point in selling my car back. Just my opinion.

gothicus and Magnus like this.
  19. mgoff5000

mgoff5000 Member

Car:
    2000 Jetta 5-spd, 2004 Passat Wagon
    Mods:
    Jetta is on H&R Sport/Koni Yellows, Skid plates on Jetta/Passat, BSD and cam replaced on Passat
    Hmm, so I think I heard about your experience at my buyback appt yesterday. "yeah, so some guy back east stripped his car and drove it in. They refused the buyback"
    Guess you can't go too far. But the folks doing the buyback are independent and I doubt they would know if you swapped rims, took floor mats etc. as long as it looks like a car. If this wasn't under the supervision of a federal judge I'd be a little uneasy that VW now has my car and title and I'm waiting for an email to get my money :) Not exactly what we'd call a "deliver-versus-payment" settlement process in the finance world.

We are back to the '04 Passat as the family car and my '00 Jetta as my commuter. And apparently I'll need to make those last because it's the end of the road for VW diesel right?

+1 to folks taking the free option to drive these until late 2018. If it wasn't an "extra" car I would have done the same.

20. SIF1950

SIF1950 Member

Car:
    Jetta Sportwagen 2014
    OK, it is now the morning of December 3, 2016. We still do NOT have an offer. As I mentioned, we own the car free and clear and we have submitted the required documents as early as we could and had multiple rejections until it was accepted on November 2, 2016.

We have the car garaged because the registration expired on September 15, 2016 and we obtained the California PNO. We did this in anticipation that the buyback would be fairly quick. Both Judge Breyer and California indicate this is permissible. We have now been 2 1/2 months sans vehicle. [Fortunately, we only have to pay comprehensive on insurance while car is under PNO and garaged].

On the hotline tomorrow morning to see if I can get any satisfaction. I am also beginning to wonder if the people who say here they are getting offers and appointments are trolls. That is so inconsistent with the treatment we are getting.