Why I love vw's. Not Asian cars.

Discussion in 'The off ramp' started by Weggman, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Rwrmilton

Rwrmilton New Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta TDi
    Mods:
    None, nada, zip.... yet...
    I don't "need to", at all. It's an option. The car has 127,000 on it now. It's been spot on reliable. The POS Cruze it replaced cost me $7k in repairs between 50k and 85k miles. The VW has cost about $1200 in routine maintenance in 127k.

To give an idea, the timing belt replacement costs me $800, and only needs done every 120k miles. My wife's Chrysler is every 80k, at about the same cost. Trans service is every 40k on hers, at a cost of $140. I do the DSG myself, same cost and mileage.

Aside from a $20 fuel filter every 20k, I'm coming out cheaper per mile.

login to remove this ad
  2. Rwrmilton

Rwrmilton New Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta TDi
    Mods:
    Btw, I was a Master tech for a few years, and owned my own shop for several. Some of the work I choose to farm out due to lack of time or desire, but everything else I do myself.

3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Member

Car:
    2015 Prius Four, 2014 Corolla S, 2010 Prius II
    Mods:
    n/a
    I'm with ya, just hope and wish ya luck. Doesn't change my thinking for the mechanics and non-mechanics though...and VW's still don't hold a candle to Toyota's for TCO and reliability right now. Still nursing the Bug until Son gets his degree and buys his own what-ever, but last 3 purchases (one for mother-in-law) were Toyota.

4. Rwrmilton

Rwrmilton New Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta TDi
    Mods:
    I test drove a few Toyotas. Good god, they're so booooooring! I need my car to be comfortable and enjoyable to drive. Toyota just didn't fit either. We also have no real support up here. The one dealer by me has a very bad rep. So, I'd have to go way out of my way for purchase and any warranty work. But, YMMV.

I was also looking at the Dodge Dart. I really liked it, but got a really good deal on the VW thanks to my company affiliation with them.

5. J_D

J_D New Member

Car:
    2012 VW Jetta TDI, Audi S4
    VW's are German cars. Based on the logic in the OP, you should hate German Cars because Germany was our enemy in WWII.

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Member

Car:
    Mods:
    n/a
    Just replaced my VW with another Toyota. One built in Japan...not Mexico. ;) I'm still a Master Mechanic, but don't have to be at home anymore.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  7. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Well-Known Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    Did you even read any of the OP's posts? He said nothing about who was our enemy during WW2, he was talking about how soulless the Japanese are and how we completely rebuilt their manufacturing infrastructure with idea's that were so far ahead of there time. The great Dr. Deming tried to promote his revolutionary ideas that rebuilt Japan to American companies and was laughed at and ridiculed by some really boneheaded American companies. You have no idea how big the Japanese scored with this.

Sure, we helped Europe and Germany rebuild, but our involvement was slight compared with what we did for the Japanese.

8. Ol'Rattler

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    Why is that even an issue? My not to bright Grand daughter sold the low mileage boring Corolla we gave her and bought an older high mileage Chevy Equinox. Her rational was that she needed to make her own mistakes in life.

Well the "excitement" begins. Within 4 days of driving it it was completely out of coolant (head gasket), there is a sometimes sort of a bupping sound at idle and a check engine light that was probably on when she bought it.

To add to the "excitement", she paid about twice of KBB and that price would have been for a car with zero problems.

Toyota "boring" to me equals smiles.

9. Ol'Rattler

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    Oops.............

10. Sparkn

Sparkn Member

Car:
    2014 Jetta TDI
    There's nothing exciting about a Chevy Equinox. It's about as boring as a Corolla, but more expensive and has a permanent monthly bill.

11. frodoz737

frodoz737 Member

Car:
    Mods:
    n/a
    Exciting to drive...a VW? o_O I'm excited not having to continually fix and dump money into a VW.

12. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    love my hitler touched
    84 jetta owned shell since 96.. started that project in rusty shell in 93..
    90 b3 passat wagon 1.6 idi td 020 swap.. started this in 02 in a sedan, then in 06 did a wagon shell swap

fyi both still rust free cars

most fun item... made in ne pa... all aluminum.. so live forever too

kubvan... and nothing can compair to driving it thru that area of pa.. picking out any po dunk gas station.. and somehow find a grey haired person there thats got a story of i used to make...... for those back in ..... conversations... too bad the post office ruined it for all but 500 (494 as 6 horder and i own , one day ill have 2) or less of us who have one.. "cannot use vw for power.. must be american"

it too my favorite travel car as any gas station or stop turns into a conversation.. i camp outta it.. ive run it to cali and back.. hell the horders 1st one i built him in 97.. it used to do nyc to cali few times a year.. till 05 when progressive refused to insure it any more.. it now needs resurected from sitting 10 years :(

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  13. Ol'Rattler

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    Well ya, but in my GD's eyes that pile of poo Equanox with 176k Miles was her idea of exciteing. Let's see, really clean, leather, optioned nicely and a never ending repair bill.........

I would say that an Equanox is lot more boring than a Corrola. Don't get me wrong though, I much prefer my A5 TDI to a Corrola...........