Why I love vw's. Not Asian cars.

Discussion in 'The off ramp' started by Weggman, Jan 29, 2014.

1. schimmerb

schimmerb Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI, 130k+ miles, 5spd
    I thought Ford owned Mazda or the other way around. Chevy and Toyota, Dodge and Mitzubishi. Oh, Dodge is also Mercedes and Ford has something to do with Jaguar.
    As a Navy Veteran I don't like the Japanese cars as they did appear to have an unfair advantage and the Bombing of Pearl Harbor is still an offensive sight for me. Eventually we have to get to a place where we accept each other's progress and support the efforts to be peaceful. There are other countries in the present time I won't support, and holly wierd stars I won't watch and elected officials I want removed. Japan as I understand is now a good ally with our great country and I'm not opposed to supporting them.
    The first step to stopping discrimination, is to stop bringing it up. I'm working on that.
    (PS. I'm a conservative old white guy)

2. AstrotravelerTDI

AstrotravelerTDI Member

Car:
    2014 Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen TDI with DSG, Sunroof and Wheel Pkg
    Mods:
    Sonniboy shades, VW OEM chromed exhaust finishers, Heatshield windshield sun shade and sunroof shade, Stanadyne Lubricity additive
    Well I remember my grand pappy (82nd Airborne, two Silver Stars) telling me about plenty of his buddies dying in Europe fighting the dear old Huns of the Third Reich too. Were I to use the "lots of Americans died to suppress the imperialist fascist bastards" rationale in my car buying, I'd not be buying German or Japanese vehicles. Or Italian. Or Spanish. Or anything manufactured in the US south of the Mason-Dixon line. ;-)

3. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Well-Known Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    The workers should just form their own union. VW's desire is a union relationship similar to the union relationship VW has with their workers in Europe.

The UAW should just but out so the workers and VW can put together an arrangement that will be beneficial to both sides instead the adversarial relationship that is usually the case when the UAW gets involved.

4. mu2bdriver

mu2bdriver Active Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    Stock
    The UAW could care less about the workers and could care even less about the company. They want the continuous flow of membership dollars, want the southern exposure, and want the numbers added to their roster to further influence politicians in less than progressive areas. TN is a stone's throw from AL where Hyundai has their US plant and from GA where Kia has their US plant.

5. 1texansfan1

1texansfan1 Member

Car:
    2014 Passat TDI SEL w DSG 2005 Jetta GLI 1.8T auto w triptronic
    It is a Southern thang- if ya ain't from here - no way ya can understand. Texas born- lived in many countries- returned to raise my son here!!
    P.S. no need to worry about cold starts of TDI in 80 temps.

6. MakMov

MakMov New Member

Car:
    1991 Porsche 964
    Toyota builds a car?
    I thought they just did appliances.

fxk likes this.
  7. Ol'Rattler

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    It just amazes me that we could ever forgive the Japanese or even the German for the atrocities they inflicted on innocent people. From any point of view, how could ANYONE do such horrific things?

I saw a TV show were some of those Japanese folks from the era were interviewed, and their biggest regret was that they failed to perform their duty. Absolutely no remorse about the horrific things they did. Not even an acknowledgement that what they did was just completely immoral and unjust on every imaginable level.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  8. Sparkn

Sparkn Member

Car:
    2014 Jetta TDI
    I'm pretty sure you're correct. I once had an appliance named Corolla. A pothole split the front end in two, but, hey, it was my fault for testing fate trying to drive that thing.

9. chudzikb

chudzikb Member

Car:
    05.5 Jetta, 03 2 door Golf
    The "scientific" experiments on the prisoners alone should give pause. Folks think differently than we do...

10. Sparkn

Sparkn Member

Car:
    2014 Jetta TDI
    Last time I checked Michaelangelo cut up cadavers to study human innards, but I don't recall the Vatican painting over the Sisteen Chapel in protest. Human history is full of atrocities to both the living and the dead, human and otherwise. It seems a bit weird to me to protest some things while turning a blind eye to others. Not that I'm innocent myself. Just seems weird when I think about it.

11. 1texansfan1

1texansfan1 Member

Car:
    2014 Passat TDI SEL w DSG 2005 Jetta GLI 1.8T auto w triptronic
    How about the US?? Syphalis experiments? Radiation experiments? Not to mention the countless animal ones. Just saying the US is not without a past.

No where else I want to live either

12. Sparkn

Sparkn Member

Car:
    2014 Jetta TDI
    Oh yes. Can't forget the sterilization of the common class here in the US. GIs watching atomic explosions just to observe the effects, etc.

13. Ol'Rattler

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    Lots of bad Ju-Ju all around for the so called "human race". Don't forget to add the close to annihilation and the survivors' imprisonment (reservations) of the aboriginal folks (so called American Indians) of this country after our ancestors immigrated here.

14. Rwrmilton

Rwrmilton New Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta TDi
    Mods:
    None, nada, zip.... yet...
    I tried buying daily drivers from Japan. I also tried American.

I had good luck with Tauruses, but aside from the SHO, they are horribly bland. That's the same case for pretty much all Japanese cars that fit my use, too.

I stuck pretty hard to Volvo, but I'm not a fan of their more recent stuff.

We've had several Grand Prixs, all GTP, as well as a few SSEI Bonnie's, but they're all old as hell now and the bodies just fall to pieces up here.

VW and Audi have always given me that little bit of fun in looking for, while meeting the needs as a daily. My TDi Jetta is fantastic. And, I don't know who built these things, but the car lives outside, no block heater, and even in -40 it starts just fine. That's more than I can say for my 8 month old Freightliner!

The Jetta is a bit more quirky than the Japanese cars, and requires a bit more maintenance than the American stuff, but it's a worthy trade.

Except for the Chevy Cruze. God I hated that car! I don't think it ever actually spent a full week out of the shop in over a year and a half of ownership! By 80k miles, the car felt like it was coming apart. They should kill them with FiRE!

15. frodoz737

frodoz737 Active Member

Car:
    2015 Prius Four, 2014 Corolla S, 2010 Prius II, Cimbria SS
    Mods:
    n/a
    I am a "fanboy" of nothing, but as a lifetime licensed mechanic I'm sticking with Toyota "for now" having had great success with their vehicles. My TDI Beetle's days are numbered and chocked up as an expensive hard lesson learned. When VW makes a product that does not require thousands of dollars in mods to make it reliable and lowers the cost and time needed for required maintenance, maybe I'll give them a chance again...but I have seen nothing to date that has changed my mind.

16. AstrotravelerTDI

AstrotravelerTDI Member

Car:
    2014 Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen TDI with DSG, Sunroof and Wheel Pkg
    Mods:
    Sonniboy shades, VW OEM chromed exhaust finishers, Heatshield windshield sun shade and sunroof shade, Stanadyne Lubricity additive
    But you're forgetting the most important point - you'll be *driving* a Toyota! They are the most soulless uninspiring, insipid, appliance-like, "we just don't get driving should be fun" line of conveyances on the planet. It's more fun to ride the bus than to drive a Toyota product. There are plenty of Japanese companies that match Toyota's quality, but also do not skimp on driver engagement; Mazda, Subaru and Honda.

If you must sin by driving a rice burner, at least pick a rice burner that's enjoyable to drive.

17. Rwrmilton

Rwrmilton New Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta TDi
    Mods:
    I will say this, the Hyundai Genesis coupe with the v6 and 6 speed would be a contender if my family fit. That car is a riot to drive!

18. frodoz737

frodoz737 Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    n/a
    The most important point to me is driving a reliable car. If I want to put to much money and work into maintaining a car with soul it will have a lot more than some VW. I originally bought the TDI when they jacked up gas prices after Katrina to save on commute costs...and nothing else. To each their own.

19. Rwrmilton

Rwrmilton New Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta TDi
    Mods:
    I drive 700 miles a week, and it hasn't been bad for me.

20. frodoz737

frodoz737 Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    n/a
    So why do you want (or should need) to have the DPF delete and catback, and have the Malone Eco tune done then. Keep turning wrenches or this car or will get even more expensive. The last thing I want to do is work on stuff after doing it all night for a living...but that's me. I'm happy for ya and really do wish you luck though...but it's coming.