Which version do i buy? :)

Discussion in 'Ross Tech VCDS forum' started by Crik911, May 16, 2014.

1. Crik911

Crik911 Member

Car:
    2011 Jetta TDI Highline (US Version)
    Mods:
    None - Factory
    Hi guys, I have a 2011 Jetta TDI Highline and a friend has a 2013 Passat TDI Highline. We are both looking into splitting on a VCDS solution. I have downloaded the latest beta of the software on the site and installed, looks just like the tutorials I see online. Next step tho, Is there an aftermarket alternative to the Ross-tech? Is it simply ODB2 to USB? I assume its not based on some of the readings I have found.

If you guys have any thoughts I would appreciate them! Thanks alot

2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Aftermarket alternative - nothing even close.

Get the the micro can cable or the hex-can if you ever plan to work on a mk4 or older VW-Audi. The newer cables are needed to communicate with your CAN BUS (mk5 and newer) cars. It goes to a USB.

Windows only although I believe their new wireless one works with Apple, see their website for tech details, it's a new item and I'm not familiar with it.

3. Crik911

Crik911 Member

Car:
    2011 Jetta TDI Highline (US Version)
    Mods:
    None - Factory
    VCDS License with Micro-CAN (most VW 2005.5 to current)$249.00 In Stock

My understanding is that this will work on both the 2011 Jetta and 2013 Passat. It would also include software and hardware (minus a windows pc) that I would need to get fixing!
    Is it crazy to run VCDS on something other than a laptop? I was thinking just a USB extension plugged in to my desktop pc might be easier to work with. Is that a good idea? Should I just hi-jack the wife's laptop periodically?

4. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Take the wife's laptop...will work on both your cars and unlimited number of vins. Can be resold with very little depreciation so the actual cost is surprisingly low!

5. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Nice little review by a dealer tech on the Ross-Tech forum:

As said if you do any Long Coding mods copy and paste to original code number into a file as a backup. You will find any Long Coding changes save in C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Debug\CodingLog.txt.