Weird buzzing sound in the cabin in my 2015 Passat TDI

Discussion in '2012-2016 VW Passat TDI forum' started by PACPassat, Dec 9, 2015.

1. PACPassat

PACPassat New Member

Car:
    2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
    So, a few days ago when I had the radio low, I noticed a strange buzzing sound inside the cabin. I turned the radio off, and sure enough, a continuous buzz. This happens when the car is cold, hot, air on/off, etc. Can't get it to stop and getting a bit louder and very annoying! I have a service appointment tomorrow and will let you all know what VW says, but wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar? Also, on another note, I received my "Customer Loyalty" Visa card and $500 dealer credit (which I hope to use on future service appointments). Beginning to wonder why I bought a VW!!!

Nathan Hinder and JazzBeBop like this.
  2. JazzBeBop

JazzBeBop Member

Car:
    2015 Passat TDI SE Fortana red on beige
    I have that same buzz. I think it is something with the glove compartment. I thought it was because of the stuff in it, but it is actually, play. The lid has barely enough play to cause that buzz. Now, that you mention it, I barely have 15.5K on the odometer and I will take it to the stealership to get it looked at and maybe, just maybe, repaired.

3. PACPassat

PACPassat New Member

Car:
    Noticed that the sound is actually coming from the under/rear of the car, but I can just hear it loudly in the cabin too (turn the radio up). Dealer said it's the fuel pump and that they will replace it (under warranty) and check all of the lines. They said this is an unusual, not typical, issue. Dealer will do the 10k service a bit early while they have the car, so I should get it back early next week. Have a dealer loaner vehicle but it's not as nice as my TDI SEL. I hope this will fix the problem and it's not a sign of things to come with my only 6-month-old VW.

4. lwt42

lwt42 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2017 Subaru Outback
    If you only hear it shortly after the engine is turned off, it's the AdBlue pump. It draws DEF back out of the tubing into the tank to avoid freezing and rupturing the line. That may or may not matter, depending on where you live. It's important to me. :)

JazzBeBop likes this.
  5. PACPassat

PACPassat New Member

Car:
    Thanks lwt42, but the sound never stops. When the car is running, the buzz keeps going. Dealer thinks I have a bad fuel pump. Expecting a call with more details today. In the meantime, I am driving a dealer loaner gasoline Passat TSI (4 cylinder), but it's not nearly as nice as my diesel TDI SEL. Can't wait to get my car back! Oh, and I have to stop for gas already today, and I've only had the dealer car for a few days! Miss my 600+ miles to a tank!

JazzBeBop likes this.
  6. lwt42

lwt42 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2017 Subaru Outback
    If it's constant, it's probably not the AdBlue pump, but you will notice that pump running when you walk away from the car.

7. PACPassat

PACPassat New Member

Car:
    Thx again, lwt42. Yes, I do hear the buzz of the AdBlue pump when I shut the car off, but that only lasts a few seconds. The other (constant) noise is now gone, since the dealer gave me a new fuel pump. My husband said good thing I noticed it quickly and took the car in right away. If the pump failed, I would have broken down somewhere. Have had the car back for a few weeks now, and so far, so good. Having the dealer loaner for a week gave me a HUGE appreciation for my SEL Premium. Now just waiting to hear about resolution of the emissions cheating issue.

8. ekuflyer

ekuflyer New Member

Car:
    2014 Passat TDI SE 6M
    Mods:
    Stock
    I always heard the same noise and still do. My Fuel pump was replaced at 20k miles after the car went into limp mode and I took it in. It is now in the shop (30K miles) because I am getting no heat on the right side of the car. Not in floor, defrost or the vents. Beginning to wonder if it is a lemon.

9. Cholmes100

Cholmes100 New Member

Car:
    2014 Passat TDI Highline
    Mods:
    "Bluemotion" badging - Euro Rocker Panel effects - Rear Window lip - Blue instrument cluster needles - Audi wheels
    No heat is a recall issue, pretty much an option on the Passat