Water leaks into interior and trunk

Discussion in '2012-2016 VW Passat TDI forum' started by macadoo1961, Apr 10, 2014.

1. macadoo1961

macadoo1961 New Member

Car:
    passat 2012
    Anyone else had problems with water leaks....our 2012 Passat tdi had a trunk full of water, it was obvious it leaked in from the left side as the top of the trunk mat was dry, but water was over an inch deep in the spare tire well. Took in for warranty, dealer resealed the body vents in the side of the trunk as well as the trunk lid gasket. They said the trunk was now sealed but water tests showed water getting into the headliner on left side, so they pulled the headliner, a,b and c pillar covers, back seats, then water tests showed the sunroof frame leaking. They replaced the sunroof and the rear drain hoses. Went to pick up car today....found the trunk gasket not glued across the top of the trunk opening and ripples in the headliner cloth up near the rear window. Needless to say I left the car with them once again.......it has been there 3 weeks 2 days, I have been so patient in waiting for this to get fixed but am really pissed now. Are we the only people to get a leaky Passat???

2. macadoo1961

macadoo1961 New Member

Car:
    passat 2012
    Well I could not get angry with the service writer at the dealer, he admitted the mechanic forgot to "crimp" the trunk lid gasket across the top of the trunk opening (apparently the gaskets are crimped on not glued) and said he thinks the wrinkles in the head liner were from the mechanic spraying on cleaner and wiping hand prints from the surface of it. They finished the fastening of the gasket onto the body of the car and have ordered in a new headliner, car still at their shop.........Monday of next week will be 4 weeks it has been there :( What bothers me is if the guy forgot something as simple as finishing fastening the trunk lid gasket then what has gone on when they installed the new sunroof assembly. I'm starting to realize why more and more I try to do most of my own work on my vehicles, it's just so time consuming and tough when your already beat from a week of work yourself.

3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Handprints on headliners is a major issue. It's just them not changing gloves when their hands are dirty.

4. macadoo1961

macadoo1961 New Member

Car:
    passat 2012
    DSC04184.JPG DSC04192.JPG Well this car still has leaks into the trunk, since I posted last April we had it back in the dealership again in November, this time they said the leak was a body seam and put some sealant along the seam at the trunk floor where it meets the outer body panel (just in front of the trunk vent on drivers side). Two weeks after getting it back I noticed the windows fogging up once again.........arghhh ! Really pissed now I decided to pull the trunk liner out myself ( I requested the dealer give us the car back with the liner out for the winter so we can monitor this problem to see it was really fixed this time, they would not comply, said the problem was fixed this time and they do not return cars to customers in pieces), well with the trunk liner out I found even more water in the passenger side of the trunk this time. Finally with the liner out of the way I can see water dripping down from the back window area into the trunk. I've used a USB scope/camera and found a body seem up under the rear window deck (near where the hinges stop) Really don't want to go back to this dealership again but people have told me one should stick with the original dealer that tackled a reoccurring issue. I find it so aggravating as I feel I have more knowledge and a better grasp of this problem than the service writer, but one is only allowed to speak to them, not a mechanic. What do others think? Any opinions? Go else where? If I can I'll post some pics of the leak including the scope pic of the seem the water is coming out of.

5. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    What's the lemon law in your state?

lwt42 likes this.
  6. macadoo1961

macadoo1961 New Member

Car:
    passat 2012
    The pic with my hand in it is showing the edge/ledge the water is dripping off of. The other pic is of where the water lands with the trunk liner out. Honestly I have to wonder how many trunks out there possibly leak in all new cars, not just VWs with all the fancy lining they put in trunks these days. Here is a couple of pics from the scope I took, any ideas on where this is from......I'm thinking the rear window has always been leaking intermittently on our car as I cannot believe 1) the sunroof (the headliner never got wet), 2) the trunk lid gasket, 3)a body seem on the drivers side,4) and the trunk vents were all leaking. I will admit the vents were done as a preventative measure, but dealer said the other three things done were actual leaks, now this one on the passenger side makes four different leaks? I don't think so, or sure hope not......would not say much for the quality of these cars.

7. macadoo1961

macadoo1961 New Member

Car:
    passat 2012
    I'm in Canada, don't think we have any such laws, I realize water leaks can be hard to find but just find answers at the service writers desk are sugar coated B.S. I'm a mechanic, all be it not an automotive tech, but have a pretty good idea how service depts. work as I work in one. Our customers get to talk to the tech who works on their equipment most of the time, so slinging B.S. in the customers direction does not work.

8. macadoo1961

macadoo1961 New Member

Car:
    passat 2012
    Here's the scope pics I took, bought this camera just to do this before taking back to whatever dealer I deal with, if they can't fix it from this I friggen give up! 1.jpg 11.jpg passat pics.jpg

9. macadoo1961

macadoo1961 New Member

Car:
    passat 2012
    That camera will be handy at work in refrigeration too! Something good came out of this!

10. macadoo1961

macadoo1961 New Member

Car:
    passat 2012
    I still cannot believe more people have not had wet cars than I have seen on here, we cannot be of the only select few. When I go into the dealer and hear the service writer talking to the girl that books appointments I can over hear them talking about others in for water testing. Service writer says our overly wet weather here in the northwest is partly to blame.......really? We have a 2004 Chevy Impala in the driveway that's as dry as the desert.

11. altomster

altomster New Member

Car:
    2012 VW Touareg Execuline 3.6L
    Hi Macadoo, so I have what appears to be the same problem as you with my 2012 gas Touareg. How did you make out in the end? Did the dealership fix the leak? I'm like you - I find this so disappointing as I hate water in my car, and would like to hold VW accountable for this.