VW/Audi emissions recall fix

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by a j caristo, Sep 26, 2017.

1. a j caristo

a j caristo New Member

Car:
    audi A3 2011
    I'm looking for any information, impressions or feedback from anyone who has had the 2.0L engine fix that VW/Audi agreed to with the US/CA regulatory agencies during the summer of 2017. What I have seen is mostly negative and I am looking for anything that might help me with my decision on my 2011 A3. It's a great car that's never had any problems and only has 58,000 miles on it. I don't want to ruin it with the fix and I really don't want to sell it back to VW because in my estimation, there is no replacement for this vehicle. I believe we have until 11-1-18 to complete the process, after that, any fix comes out of my pocket without any pain and suffering cash from VW. Since there is no emission testing for diesel engines in NC can I just not get the fix done and drive the car as is. I don't want to be forced into selling the car back to VW so it can sit in a parking lot in Pontiac, MI, any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. mikeme

mikeme Active Member

Car:
    2009 JSW TDI 205,000 miles
    Northern Virginia (dead in dealer parking lot since 15 august 2017)
    I would get the fix, cash the check, and drive on.

some folks say it drives a little different, others not at all. perhaps a little worse MPG, but the cash more than makes up for that.

earlier cars (like my 09) have had some issues with clogged heater cores that show up after the fix, or a few of us lucky ones that had the DSG update brick the car for a while. (still waiting)

but for a 2011, not much downside, it seems.

mz m likes this.
  3. mz m

mz m New Member

Car:
    2009 Jetta TDI
    I just had i done, so far it is just a 1-2 mpg reduction in fuel economy. The recall should have been delayed until the fix was in, what a waste...
    Performance: RPMs are higher but cannot yet see a difference, may know more in 6 months.
    2009 Jetta, auto, 118K

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2017