VW actually covered my rusty fender under 12 year rust warranty

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by chittychittybangbang, Apr 24, 2017.

1. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I had some rust bubbling where the soundproofing foam on the top of the fender arch rubs through and rusts. Seeing how VW was hurting from dieselgate and a mixed history of covering fender rust, I was pleasantly surprised when they covered it. This was on my 2006, and about 6 months away from the end of the 12 year rusty warranty. The reason I never pursued it earlier was because I thought the warranty had a mileage limit. In fact, for my 2006, it was unlimited miles.

Pleasantly surprised.

frodoz737 likes this.
  2. weeves

weeves New Member

Car:
    2006 VW Jetta TDI
    I have a small rust spot on the rear quarter panel above the wheel well that has bugged me ever since I bought the car. I had no idea there was a rust warranty. Thanks for the heads up!

3. mu2bdriver

mu2bdriver Active Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    Stock
    Yup. My dealer was very helpful on this. Covered my 2003 in early 2014-ish on the front fender. I'm not sure if the rear fenders are covered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Rembrant

Rembrant New Member

Car:
    03 Jetta TDI Wagon
    Rear fenders are indeed covered. I just had my 2006 Jetta done at the end of 2016. They replaced both sides of the car...that is the whole quarter panel, rocker panel, and c-pillar (that is all one piece when ordered new from VW). They also replaced both front fenders and the trunk lid. They would not warranty the rust spots that were on 3 of the 4 doors, so I paid out of pocket to have them done. Due to the extra expense, I did not have the bumpers, roof, and hood painted.

mu2bdriver likes this.
  5. mu2bdriver

mu2bdriver Active Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    Stock
    That's great. I was under the impression, as explained by the dealer, that the foam pads were only installed in the front fenders and that only those were applicable under the rust warranty.

6. honorben

honorben New Member

Car:
    05 passat tdi wagon
    Vw replaced both front fenders and refinished the area right in front of the rear wheels both sides of ours. They would not do the rear liftgate behind the plate area stating that the plate caused the rust (bs). They quoted me $1095 to fix a spot about the size of a dime behind the plate. Obviously I didn't have it done. They had the car over 7 weeks, when I got it back I counted 23 missing fasteners. 11 more not even screwed in all the way. Plus the one rear inner fender had been ripped out. I had to pull teeth to get them to order me new fasteners and inner fender because I told them they were not touching my car again. I realigned the front fenders properly. And after 6 months both rear "repaired" sections by rear wheels have complete separation of whatever filler/primer that didn't bond to the base metal.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2017
  7. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Wow that is a lousy repair....if it makes you feel any better, they almost always subcontract body shop stuff out, and the failed repair should be covered by them.

8. afaivre

afaivre New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta
    I have had both front fenders replaced on my 2006. First the passenger side, went fairly smoothly, but the drivers side took them almost a year to get it into the shop. I was surprised that they would actually fix them.