veggie burner

Discussion in 'Biodiesel general' started by ganto, May 27, 2014.

1. ganto

ganto New Member

Car:
    300D
    Mods:
    none
    after speaking to a mech today at the dealership. I asked him about converting a 2014 to run off veggie oil and he said that he would not recommend it because of the fuel pump and all the emissions crap on them now vs the older diesels any opinions on that and if that's true what years should I be looking at since I want to make it a veggie burner
    thanks

login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    On a mid 80s VW diesel OK. On a 2014 absolutely not. The fuel pump is too delicate and the emissions filter are completely different than what you know on your 300D. The issue with burning veg oil is crap in=crap out. I've heard success stories but also horror stories. If you put in low quality fuel, no matter the source, whether regular diesel, biodiesel, or veg oil, it'll hurt the car.

To answer your question, the mid 80s IDI are indirect injection, very slow, non turbo. Starting in 1996, they introduced the TDI with direct injection turbo, decent performance. Uses Bosch distributor pump until 2003. These are the best years for a veg conversion and I believe, the most common. 2004+ used unit injectors which were higher pressure and probably less suitable for thick fuel since they have camshaft issues even with regular diesel. 2009+ used common rail and out of the question and use emissions systems that I can't possibly see doing good things with veg oil.

See the DPF article in the FAQ for more and the buying guides for differences between models.

3. mu2bdriver

mu2bdriver Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    Stock
    If you're sticking within the VW family, nothing newer than a 2003/ALH engine. I know plenty of people successfully running WVO in their 1Z and ALH engines. Or the older MB or Volvos but neither are as much fun to drive.