VCDS central electric tweaks and modifications - NMS Passat

Discussion in '2012-2016 VW Passat TDI forum' started by chittychittybangbang, Mar 29, 2014.

1. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    VCDS central electric tweaks and modifications - NMS Passat

Ross tech VCDS vag com CECM mods for 2012+ VW Passat (NMS)(top)

Introduction

VCDS software and cable will let you change many settings on the NMS VW Passat that can't be adjusted even through the menus. This article will concentrate on central electric module tweaks, please refer to the other article for ABS, HVAC, and instrument cluster mods.

WARNING: Before you change any coding, write down or take a screenshot of your original coding. Due to equipment and module differences, the exact code numbers you see here may differ from what you have on your car. Do not copy the exact code numbers you see here. Use the check boxes and VCDS will adjust the code number for you. The check boxes are completely safe and tested. Entering your own custom coding number can possibly brick the module and cause it to stop functioning. Many boxes will not do anything because they are not equipped or compatible with your car/trim level.

Parts and tools

VCDS cable and software from Ross tech. The cable must be compatible with the newer CAN BUS cars (hex-can or micro can). Cables intended for older cars or ebay cables will not work.

First plug your VCDS into the OBD port and start the software. You'll see the main screen with installed modules. Click on Cent. Electric.
    passat-vcds.png

You will see the screen below. Most options are in Coding or Adaptation. After you make the changes in those sections, click "Do it!" to save. When done, close and exit the CECM module. The following sections are divided into: Alarm and lock/unlock behavior, Lights, and Windows and Sunroof.
    passat-cecm.png

Alarm and lock/unlock behavior(top)

Alarm system activation - coding(top)

The alarm kit is an option that is installed at the factory or can be installed afterwards. The alarm kit adds the hood switch and an extra horn. Without this option or coding change, there is no car alarm at all. To activate it, click the checkbox for Bit 5. It's off by default.
    passat-alarm.png

If you make this coding change, the alarm will sound if someone opens the doors or trunk on a locked car (like after breaking a window) but not if someone prys open the hood because there's no hood switch. If you add the hood switch, it will detect hood opening. If you add the horn that comes with the alarm kit, it will use that horn for the alarm and the car lock/unlock beep instead of the car's existing horn. SE are already prewired for the hood switch, you just have to add the switch and plug in the wire. SEL should already have the hood switch. (click to enlarge the thumbnail). The empty plug for the hood switch is next to the cold air intake.
    passat-hood-switch.jpg

Lock/unlock behavior - coding(top)

Auto unlock is changeable under the MFD - this unlocks the doors when you remove the key from the ignition Auto lock is on by default and not changeable under the MFD. This locks the doors when the car exceeds ~15 mph. You can disable this function.
    passat-alarm-2.png

Move a few Bytes to the right and you will come to the below screen with these options. By default, the car will honk the horn when you lock it. This option can be turned off in the MFD options under "Convenience": ATA (anti theft alarm) confirm. As a side note, there is no anti theft alarm until you turn it on using the above mod so that option description is not very accurate. Older and other current VW have alarms so I guess they never changed the option title.

You can also make the car honk the horn when you unlock it, see Bit 4 below. It's turned off by default.

The 3rd option on this screen is Locking/Unlocking Confirmation via Turn Signals active. This makes the turn signals flash when you lock/unlock the car.
    passat-alarm-1.png

Lights(top)

Emergency light flashing(top)

This flashes the hazards or brake lights if you brake hard enough to activate the ABS system. Refer to the article: Emergency light flashing for a demo video and the full article.

Coming home behavior - coding(top)

Coming home turns on the headlights when you remove the ignition key. The headlight switch must be set to Auto. Bit 0 is unchecked by default which activates coming home when you remove the key. If you check it, it will activate coming home when you open the door.
    passat-cecm-2.png

Foglight and behavior(top)

If you have foglights, Bit 0 in the below screen will be checked. However, you can set the foglights as DRL. This is unchecked by default. Cornering lights are when the car goes into a corner, it will illuminate the foglights on that side.
    passat-cecm-3.png

The below settings are default for a SE (without foglights). If you check bit 7, "Daytime Running Light (DRL) Adaptation active (MFA+), you will gain the ability to turn the DRL on and off via the MFD screen. I forget what other changes I made but if you change some other coding the checkbox becomes unselectable even though it's still visible. To remove the option, find the other checkbox for MFI/MFD via BAP (it may be Byte 9 but newer modules may be different), uncheck it, save, and it'll be gone along with your convenience and lights/vision menu. Go back into the coding and restore MFI/MFD via BAP and save. The convenience and lights/vision menu will be back without the DRL checkbox.
    passat-cecm-4.png drl-adapt.jpg

DRL off
    Uncheck Bit 5.
    passat-drl.png

Comfort blinking - adaptation(top)

Select the drop down menu in adaptation. This changes the number of turn signal blinks if you tap the turn signal stalk from the default of 3 to between 1-5 (I have no idea why anyone would select 1 since that would be the same as tapping it manually). In this case it's changed to 4. Hit "Save" when done. You can also deactivate comfort blinking entirely in coding or through the MFD checkbox as seen above.
    passat-comfort-signal.png

Brighten or dim headlights and taillights- coding(top)

In long coding, you can adjust voltage to the headlight and taillights. More voltage will increase brightness and shorten bulb lifespan, less voltage will be the inverse of that.

Windows and sunroof(top)

Windows and sunroof comfort operation
    This opens and closes the windows/sunroof by pressing and holding your remote control unlock/lock button, respectively. It does the same thing as holding the key in the door lock (not very convenient since it's under a cover) to unlock or lock or if you have KESSY, using the door button. On 2012 and 2013 NMS Passat, the window comfort operation cannot be activated using the remote, regardless of what coding you enter - only the sunroof will respond. If you happened to find this page and you have a Golf or Sportwagen, refer to their FAQ index pages. The remote always worked on those. On 2014 NMS, the windows and sunroof will respond with the remote if you change the coding.
    To activate it, check Bit 5. Also check Bit 0, 1, and/or 2 depending on what behavior you want.
    passat-comfort-windows.png

Rain sensor activation(top)

The rain sensor was removed for 2013 SE and all 2014 including SEL but you can easily retrofit it.
    Please refer to the full article here

Rain sensing wipers and rain activated window and sunroof closing(top)

Will not work unless you retrofit the rain sensor or your car already comes with the rain sensor (all 2012, 2013 SEL come w/rain sensor)
    Please refer to the full article here

NOTE: You may see the checkbox for "Mirror lowering with reverse rear". This lowers the passenger side mirror if you shift into reverse and if the mirror switch is set to R. This will not do anything if you check it because it requires highline door modules to work. If you don't have a highline car with memory seats (SEL premium), you don't have highline door modules. This box will be checked on SEL premium. Here is a demo of this function.

Bcrittenden likes this.
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I just finished this wiki article on VCDS tweaks specific to the CECM module. I split VCDS tweaks into 2 main articles with a few in depth articles like rain sensor activation because they needed more detail. Please use this thread for support and to discuss items on this article. If you wish to add or edit the article, click "View this Page on the Wiki" and then click the "edit" tab.

3. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Added a video demo. Again, this will not work on any 2012. It works on 2014s. As far as I know, it will not work on 2013s.

This video is only for the Passat. If you have a Golf or Sportwagen, remote windows worked on all mk6 cars with the coding change.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  4. omegis

omegis New Member

Car:
    2013 VW Passat TDI
    Works on my 2013 Passat SE TDI

Not a fan of having to remove the door handle key cover to do this though

5. pedorro

pedorro New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat SE 6M
    Excellent thread to make a sticky, no...?

6. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    This thread article is the support for the wiki article. It's already in the wiki and when an admin creates a support thread it shows the wiki article inside the first post. Check out the DIY - wiki section at the top, many more helpful articles there!

7. Majd

Majd New Member

Car:
    VW CC 2014
    Hi guys
    I have a 2014 VW CC with Kessy system and I was wondering if I can lock and unlock the doors while the engine is running
    Under which category can I find this option??
    Thank you

8. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
  9. dzampi

dzampi New Member

Car:
    2013 VW Passat TDI
    Just did all of this on my 2013 TDI and this is just to confirm that Window comfort does NOT work on this year (or at least on my vehicle). Just the sunroof responds...All the other coding does work!!!

10. 02r1guy

02r1guy New Member

Car:
    2014 Passat TDI SEL
    Turning my 14 TDI tomorrow and pick up my 17' Passat. Any differences with the 16+ years ?