Vagcom VCDS from Ross Tech need info on testers for turbo boost problem

Discussion in 'Ross Tech VCDS forum' started by CoreyB, Jun 25, 2014.

1. CoreyB

CoreyB New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta TDI 2004
    Hi
    I'm new here and am just wondering if someone has any idea of the different types of scanner tools there are out there. I heard there are also tuning computer tools for the cars but not sure about what one's are available and how much they cost but would like a list. I think I need one cause I'm working alone and noticed a couple threads that talk about the ross tech vcds for boost leaks before you get into working on the car.

Now to get to one of my main problems. I am trying to safety my vehicle and it has an engine code on it. The mechanics are required by law to not pass the car with this damn engine code. It says 1899L Turbo Boost Circut 16486 MAF Sensor came back after clearing on the work sheet.

Here's what I've experienced with the car over the last 2 years I've had it.
    When I first got the car it had an engine light on. Turbo boost position sensor out of alignment or something like that. It didn't go into limp mode until after about 3 months of having the car. But I heard from a friend that running high RPM's that it would clean out the turbo. So I did that and it would go into limp mode and out of limp mode every once in a while. I finally took a look underneath the car about about 8 months and found a couple wires that hook up to the turbo that were cut. I just stripped them and twisted them haphazardly together and haven't looked since to see if they are together but codes were still on after connecting them and I was pretty sure they were connected good. It was really hard for me to find the end of the wires and if I could just disconnect them and put new ones in to turbo? So after all that I have been driving it like that since and haven't had limp mode come back on for about a year now. One thing I did notice is that my turbo has a lag in it. And I watching a video from a guy on here about the 4 different problems that could cause my turbo to malfunction and I was thinking that it was because of the stop screw. So when reading about how to fix the problem it talked about the vcds scanner cable from ross tech. I've seen an OBD II for $30 not sure if that does the same thing? But if you have any info that would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Corey
    Alberta, Canada

P.S. also have some type of oil leak too coming from the back of the engine here's a pic of the area, I put a doggie collar on to hold the inter cooler hose on tighter but not sure if it really needs to be replaced?[​IMG]

2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    VCDS can monitor the sensors but it can't find boost leaks any more than it can fix your car since it's just a tool. That is just done by looking over the hoses and then pressure testing them.

Those wires that go into the black can on top of the turbo actuator are exactly what those codes would indicate. The proper fix would be to remove the plug, undo the pin lock, remove the pins, and solder in new ones. Then weather seal it.

The OBD2 scanner probably can't monitor or datalog the boost sensors or turbo actuator. VCDS can do that, you can buy it from ross-tech.com.

Can't tell where the oil leak is coming from but that intake hose looks like the culprit. Just the o-ring should help.

3. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

VAG Error Code: 16486

EOBD II Error Code: P0102

Fault Location:
    Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70), Bank 1 - Signal too Low/Short Circuit to Earth

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
    Engine stall.
    Engine running rough.
    Excessive fuel consumption.
    Excessive smoke.
    Loss or Power.

Intake leak.
    Air filter blocked.
    Wiring/Connector(s) short to earth.
    Fuse(s).
    Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70) defective.
    Dirty Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70) air filter.

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
    Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
    Check/Replace Mass Air Flow (MAF) (G70).
    Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70) signal < 66 ┬Ás

Special Notes:
    In MY 1995-2002 (?) in Europe at VW-diesel-cars G70 had the bad reputation of slowly losing his performance, causing loss of power. It's not a matter of defective or breaking down, but it is filthy/dirty (not easy to clean). You can check functionality by making a log in [01-engine], [Measuring Value Blocks (MVB)-08], group 003 (3e gear, full throttle, from 1700-4000rpm).

Tech Notes:
    Before replacing the mass air flow sensor, try replacing the air filter and cleaning the air flow sensor with low compress air or mass air flow sensor cleaner. Reset code and drive vehicle. If the code comes back, it may be necessary to replaced the mass air flow sensor.

When is the code detected?:
    An excessively low voltage from the sensor is sent to Engine Control Module (ECM).

Description:
    The Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor is placed in the stream of intake air. It measures the intake flow rate by measuring a part of the entire intake flow. It consists of a hot film that is supplied with electric current from the Engine Control Module (ECM).

The temperature of the hot film is controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM) a certain amount. The heat generated by the hot film is reduced as the intake air flows around it. The more air, the greater the heat loss. Therefore, the Engine Control Module (ECM) must supply more electric current to maintain the temperature of the hot film as air flow increases. The Engine Control Module (ECM) detects the air flow by means of this current change.

As taken from my Free EOBD II Error Codes software

4. CoreyB

CoreyB New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta TDI 2004
    Thanks alot guys I really appreciate that help. I was wondering if I could just buy a wire harness for those broken wire? Maybe that would be better then soldering them in? No? Here's the air filter and I noticed a vacuum hose that is not connected not sure if this is the problem or not for the code as well. But if anyone has info on a cheap mod for this that would be great?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

5. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB