U.S. Approves first fix for 70,000 polluting VW diesel vehicles

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by JazzBeBop, Jan 8, 2017.

1. JazzBeBop

JazzBeBop Member

Car:
    2015 Passat TDI SE Fortana red on beige
    VW's fix for the ea288 TDI has been approved by the government agency that only knows how ruin rivers and keep efficient cars off the road and away from possible future customers. I'm keeping my 2015 Passat because I don't see ANYTHING that comes anywhere close to the value, style, fun-to-drive-factor, spaciousness, and efficiency that is available in the 2015 manual Passat TDI SE.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-emissions-idUSKBN14Q21P

mareanus likes this.
  2. mareanus

mareanus New Member

Car:
    2004 VW Passat TDI
    Are you going to get the fix at the stealership, or just continue driving the car? My understanding is that they will update the software in the first stage, and then they will install a diesel particulate filter, diesel oxidation catalyst and NOx catalyst. They say that none of these will affect the performance nor the fuel economy. The second stage of the fix scares me, as I don't like those guys to work on my car. On the other hand, the monetary compensation is very appealing, I wonder if I can get the money and don't do anything with the car. I live in SC; they don't perform annually emission inspection on cars. I own a 15 Jetta.

3. JazzBeBop

JazzBeBop Member

Car:
    I'm in Texas. Inspection is $7.00 because it's emissions aren't checked. I want the compensation money and I plan to get Malone tuning mod on it after the fix. I'm pretty sure the car will be ok. There's a Malone Tuning shop here in the area and once I take it to him, I'm pretty sure he can tell me if there's been any "funny business" done other parts that should not have been messed with or that were not properly put back together.

4. JazzBeBop

JazzBeBop Member

Car:
    I just got my paperwork approved by VWoA. I'm just waiting for the VW corporate guy to show up on Wednesday this week in order to set up the appointment. I'll keep you guys posted on what the outcome is on the approved emissions modification.

5. mareanus

mareanus New Member

Car:
    2004 VW Passat TDI
    I got the first stage of the fix last week at the stealership. They did not give me any details on what they did. I don't see any differences so far. I got back already 2/3 of the money compensation and I like it. I hope the car will be alright.

6. JazzBeBop

JazzBeBop Member

Car:
    So, it took me a while to make time for the appointment AND to post an update, but here it is: Appointment went well on the 26th of January. It was 4 1/2 hours and got a loaner. Came back and it was ready with paperwork and a carwash. Money was in the bank the very next Monday, the January the 30th. Car runs like a champ with improved acceleration and mpgs! I highly recommend it. The engine runs like a hot knife through butter. Never been happier especially because sometime in August 2015, when I took the car in for a complimentary check up, the service department "updated the software" so it would "comply with future emissions standards". The service advisor stated that timing would be retarded just a little, but that I wouldn't be able to tell. Well, I COULD tell and also notice mpgs dropping. :( I'm so happy the fix is an awesome improvement I believe even over the original settings.