Turbo issue, whirring noise, limp mode then won't run.

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by Wade, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Wade

Wade New Member

Car:
    Volkswagen, Jetta, 2004, 1.9L TDI BEW
    I have a 2004 Jetta TDI. I was driving and I heard a whirring noise that was definitely turbo related. About 3 miles later the car went into limp mode. I went a few more miles the the engine would not even idle. I had to flat bed the car home. Today I disconnected the top intercooler hose from the intake manifold and the engine started and ran solidly at idle. When I re-attach the intercooler hose, the motor will not even start and smoke bellows into the engine compartment. When the engine idles now, there is no longer a whirring noise. I did not run the engine for any length of time or high RPM for fear of causing more damage. Can anyone point me in the correct direction.

2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Is there anything stuck in intake?

Also, where is smoke coming from?

If the turbo had a catastrophic failure, stop putting the hose back on!

Remove intake piping and take a look at the turbo, you should see a little oil, but a lot could be bad. If impeller is sitting sideways or is really loose, then that's also bad...

Remove intercooler and flush out any bits that may have broken off too, if it exploded.

3. Wade

Wade New Member

Car:
    OK. Thanks. I only ran the engine for a few seconds. The smoke appeared to be billowing out of the intercooler pipe. I will dis-assemble and report back. Dealing with the blizzard at the moment...

4. Wade

Wade New Member

Car:
    Good Morning. As it turns out, the inside of the turbo is shredded. Catastrophic failure does not do justice to the damage. Fortunately, it looks like no debris made it to the intake manifold. I have removed the turbo with no problem thanks to your wiki. I have a few questions though. The first question: The manifold is two pieces. Would you suggest the "Redneck" method to clean it or use the oven cleaner. I'm not sure if the manifold being two pieces makes a difference. The second question: I see that IDParts has a Borg-Warner KP-39 or a Garrett VNT-17. IDParts says that the Garrett is a significant improvement over the Borg-Warner. ID Parts says on their website "Installing this turbo requires replacing your EGR cooler lower pipe or deleting the EGR cooler." Any thoughts which turbo is better and on on deleting the EGR cooler if I go with the Garrett? I am not an expert and could use all of the advise that I can get. Be advised that I take all advise as such and I alone am responsible for making a bad decision. Thanks. // Wade

5. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    The redneck method is OK if there it's al metal only.

I'm not too familiar with the turbo differences but getting rid of the egr cooler pipe MAY require a chip tune if the car's computer knows it's no longere there. Make sure to ask if one is needed because that will add to the expense (and fun factor).

6. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    removing ANY erg requires a tune to kill the light..

catastrophic failure of turbo = scrap.. no reason to clean it

the totaled jetta wagon into golf bew swap i did had a vnt 17 on it.. sure makes fuel gauge hungry... then i put the stock 15 on it when he decided no golf and got another wagon... and had to put the 17 on it... :p made good $$ on labor redoing 1/2 the work.. yes i did charge 2x.. but even in the wagon it made it real thirsty.. dont forget will need a tune... and depending on your current clutch.. you will most likely need a nice new one

7. Wade

Wade New Member

Car:
    Thanks for your replies guys. I am more about fuel mileage than increased power. I can get in enough trouble on the interstate with the stock version. I will just keep it stock with the EGR. I installed a new clutch about a year and a half ago thanks to your wiki on that. A Sachs with a new single mass flywheel. The turbo blew at 200,000 miles. I guess that I got my money out of it..

8. Wade

Wade New Member

Car:
    I now have the new turbo and I am installing the exhaust manifold. The turbo kit from Idparts comes with 15 copper pinch nuts. The do fit the manifold studs but copper seems like such a weak material. Nowhere have I seen that the original nuts are throw-away. If they are for the manifold I am curious as to where the other 5 go. I am sure that they had a reason for including them with the kit. I have all of original spacers an nuts. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

9. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    just copper coated... been like that for 30+ years on vw... torque to 18ft-lbs in a x pattern to not warp the manifold..

8 at head
    3 on down pipe
    2 on egr pipe

reuse... i suggest not.. they are "lock" nuts so 1 time use

reuse the washers.. those thick ones help prevent warpage/stud breakage... mid 80s audi 5000t/100/200 testing on how to not warp/break their studs lead to those.. was a very common failure back then..

10. Wade

Wade New Member

Car:
    Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

11. Wade

Wade New Member

Car:
    One more question. I am installing the intake manifold. There is a ridge on the intake manifold gasket but nowhere can I find if the ridge faces the head or the manifold itself. As an aside to chittychittybangbang, I flushed the intercooler and about 8 pieces of turbine came out of it. Thanks.

12. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    does not matter per sey.. just a crush area so it can seal.. but which side do you wanna crush it... if you see wear/groove on head or manifold.. id let that determine which side gets what... aka ridged side to flat side so it can crush and not be in a groove

and info on the washers.. i rember first bag gotten to install on a audi... they were like $5 each when releasedand they only use 10... :p inline 5.. and well given 10 years(87ish audi did thick washer so by time tdi came out cheaper) tdi's got them... :p way too many manifold jobs on those old audi i5..

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  13. Wade

Wade New Member

Car:
    Thanks for the input. I was overzealous with the scotch brite so there are no marks. LOL.