Touareg 2.5 VNT stop screw initial setting on new CHRA

Discussion in 'Audi Q5, Q7, Touareg TDI, Porsche Cayenne forum' started by Hunterlees, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Hunterlees

Hunterlees New Member

Car:
    VW touareg 2.5 2006 BAC
    I am rebuilding my Garrett 2056 VNT for my 2006 2.5 BAC Touareg with a new CHRA from Melett. I have researched widely on here and t'internet but cannot find how to establish an initial setting for the stop screw, which was supplied loose. I understand how to adjust the actuator arm ok, but not how to set up the stop from scratch before reinstalling the turbo to the car. Once in the car access is very awkward and I would rather get it as close to right as I can first.
    Most comments online say "do not adjust this screw" - but in my case I have no choice!

I do not have access to a vacuum gauge, but do have full VCDS ( obviously only when the car is running again).

I read online that there is a technical bulletin from VW - can anyone point me to it or provide it , or give me any dimensions on vanes open/closed or other information which would help?

Thanks in advance.

2. 4ePikanini

4ePikanini Member

Car:
    2005 Touareg R5
    PM me if you want me to take some measurements of mine.

3. 4ePikanini

4ePikanini Member

Car:
    2005 Touareg R5
    perhaps you can use my video as reference to the housing bolt

4. 4ePikanini

4ePikanini Member

Car:
    2005 Touareg R5
  5. Hunterlees

Hunterlees New Member

Car:
    VW touareg 2.5 2006 BAC
    Hi there, I have seen your threads on MyTreg.com and elsewhere on your engine replacement - mammoth and awesome job!
    Since I don't have access to a vacuum gauge I think I have figured out what to do:
    My plan is to measure the range of movement on the old CHRA by using digital calipers. One end of that range is fixed by the internal fixed stop pin, and the other end by the stop screw. This can be done pretty accurately. I can then adjust the stop screw on the the new CHRA to provide exactly the same mechanical range of movement.

Since I will be reusing the exhaust casting with the VNT assembly, by fixing the range of movement of the lever it should correlate closely with the previous settings. I do not plan to adjust the actuator, which also will be reused.

Once up and running I will check through VCDS.
    What a job it was to dismantle the assembly though - two of the three M4 torx screws holding the vanes assembly onto the casting sheared, and it has been a pain of a job to drill them out and restore the thread in the casting. I'm replacing them with stainless.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  6. Ian MacDonald

Ian MacDonald New Member

Car:
    Mercedes Sprinter 2005 416 CDI 2.7 litre 5 speed manual
    G'day Mate.
    I have a similar issue with the initial adjustment of a vnt garrett on a merc sprinter.
    Did you end up finding anything concise regards a datum point for the stop screw position, even an initial setting until one can get it up and running and then tweek it from there.
    Any info on this will be appreciated.
    Don't worry about the photo I always look a little rough before breaky.