torque wrench

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by Misterix, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Misterix

Misterix New Member

Car:
    Golf v 2.0 tdi sportline 103 kw 16v 9-2004
    Good evening as a torque wrench that you advise me to buy.

And which extractor to buy if it is better to change the oil with this.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  2. mu2bdriver

mu2bdriver Active Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    Stock
    I've never used an extractor - just went the traditional under the car route. I bought a used ex-mechanic's torque wrench at a yard sale. It was a Snap On. Most wrenches are pretty good; I don't know what your options are over there but anything that can be calibrated should be acceptable.

3. terpsgeorgia

terpsgeorgia Member

Car:
    06 Jetta TDI
    For oil changes, I would not get too stressed about torque (and generally I am really careful about torquing things to spec). Put the plug in snugly but don't get very aggressive on the torque, never had a problem. Some have o-ring or washers that need to be replace occasionally so they seal well.

My father-in-law asked me to change the oil on his Honda once and last had it done at Walmart, and they overtorqued it like crazy, needed a breaker bar to get it loose. Had nightmare visions of trying to explain to my father-in-law why I had to tap his oil pan.... Anyway. Just make it snug so it does not leak.

4. Misterix

Misterix New Member

Car:
    Golf v 2.0 tdi sportline 103 kw 16v 9-2004
    I asked for the extractor because I do not have room to go under the car. but if you tell me it can not go I do not take it. because in the workshops they take a lot of money and you do not know if they change stuff.

5. terpsgeorgia

terpsgeorgia Member

Car:
    06 Jetta TDI
    Can you get wheel ramps? I have found them very helpful for low cars.

6. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    There are cheap and expensive torque wrenches which you can google it

Reputable brands are usually good. It depends how mechanically minded you are. Smaller ones are normally 3/8" drive I bought an 1/2" of fleabay a few years ago when I started servicing mine. Torque wrench calibration, the main thing when you finish using the torque wrench is to wind it back to 0. This relieves the pressure of the spring. I'm not sure what it costs to calibrate a torque wrench.

Post moved from Mk5 section as torque wrenches are a general tool. The same goes for oil extractors, these have been talked about if you search.