Tightening injection pump sprocket bolts

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by mgoff5000, Sep 6, 2017.

1. mgoff5000

mgoff5000 Member

Car:
    2000 Jetta 5-spd, 2004 Passat Wagon
    Mods:
    Jetta is on H&R Sport/Koni Yellows, Skid plates on Jetta/Passat, BSD and cam replaced on Passat
    On my 2000 Jetta, I need to retard the timing a bit to bring into spec. Looks easy enough, but manual procedure indicates using the lock pin while tightening the three bolts on the sprocket. Don't think I saw any mention of that in the procedure here or in the nice video that idparts has on youtube. Is the idea that the torque (25Nm) is inconsequential to the timing belt system so it's not really necessary to counter hold? I have the pin so I'll probably follow the manual, just curious what more experienced folks think on this point.

2. audi1z

audi1z Member

Car:
    Audi 80 1Z Engine
    Tightening needs a counterhold. I would counterhold the sprocket, like counterholding the camshaft sprocket. The lock pin is second choice, because the torque goes also into the belt tension.
    Cheers

3. mgoff5000

mgoff5000 Member

Car:
    2000 Jetta 5-spd, 2004 Passat Wagon
    Mods:
    Jetta is on H&R Sport/Koni Yellows, Skid plates on Jetta/Passat, BSD and cam replaced on Passat
    Thanks. Sold my camshaft counter hold tool so have to see what else I can use. It's not a ton of torque so hopefully can fake it with something around the garage!