The teeth on my timing belt shredded in my 2005 TDI Jetta, BEW

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by roj7782, Dec 13, 2016.

1. roj7782

roj7782 New Member

Car:
    VW jetta 2005 TDI, BEW
    The teeth on my timing belt shredded in my 2005 TDI Jetta, BEW. The Cam is 9 o'clock. How do I adjust this to TDC without screwing it up?

2. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    ll its like doing the cam job after you replace the valves you bent, yes time to pull the head

3. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Title changed from help everyone needs help and moved to correct section.

4. thzpcs

thzpcs Member

Car:
    2008 Golf TDI
    Is there any chance it could have jumped without killing the valves? I had a GTI that jumped timing, and somehow managed to remain unscathed.

5. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    head/piston/rod costs more then set of valves... cause the head pops off if ya dont.. they crack, not bend..

head of valve then destroys head/piston and tend to bend rod too..

6. gt4494

gt4494 Active Member

Car:
    2005 NB
    Southeast Coast on I-95. Radar detector on and yes Herbie still gets 40mpg at 80 mph
    Unfortunately the Diesel is an "interference fit". This means that the valves occupy the same space as the piston when they are open. They piston will hit them if they are open when the piston comes to TDC. If the engine had any RPM higher than idle when the belt stripped you really need to pull the head and have it inspected for bent /cracked valves. Normally the pistons will be OK but they deserve a look at their tops to make sure they didn't crack.