TDI Emission Mod & P0401 fault

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by deftdicup, Sep 7, 2017.

1. deftdicup

deftdicup New Member

Car:
    2010 Jetta TDI cup edition
    I brought my 2010 Jetta TDI in for the emissions mod at the dealership and was told that I needed to get a new diesel particulate filter before they could do the mod. Come to find out the assembly is on backorder, and according to the VWGOA tech, there have been quite a few phone calls of others with this problem. Not only that the DPF is part of the warranty after the modification is complete.

Anybody else come across this problem?

2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    The title says TDI Emission Mod & P0401 fault do you have P0401 code as well?

Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System - Insufficient Flow Detected

3. mrblah

mrblah Member

Car:
    VW JSW 2014 TDI 6sp
    Are they trying to charge you for the DPF assembly before they to the recall? Are they that scummy???

4. deftdicup

deftdicup New Member

Car:
    i've had the fault for about a month.

right now they are saying that i need to pay for the fix prior to the recall.

5. mrblah

mrblah Member

Car:
    VW JSW 2014 TDI 6sp
    First, I'd never go back to this stealership ever again.

Second, after re-reading the info on the warranty (https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/docs/emissions/VW_BOOKLET_2L-Gen-1-MAN-v4.pdf) it doesn't say "when" the warranty starts being active: Is it when you officially choose to have the fix done? Is it after the fix is done? It's not mentioned.

What IS mentioned is that :
    So I'd say that you don't have to pay a single ****ing penny on that DPF because either:
    a) The warranty starts when you filled the papers to have the fix done and so the parts are covered.
    b) The warranty doesn't explicitely say when the parts start being covered and so this conflicts should be resolved in your favor.

But honestly, call the number at diesellookup.com.

canders and deftdicup like this.
  6. deftdicup

deftdicup New Member

Car:
    I called the folks at VW yesterday and they're going to engage with the 'stealership.' The person from VW of USA is suppose to reach out to me by COB today.

Thank you for pointing out the warranty date, as I did not read it they way that you had. I'll point this out, specifically as my car is within the 10yr 6mo or 126K miles from the original in-service date!

mrblah likes this.
  7. mrblah

mrblah Member

Car:
    VW JSW 2014 TDI 6sp
    Stick it to 'em! ;)

8. mrblah

mrblah Member

Car:
    VW JSW 2014 TDI 6sp
  9. deftdicup

deftdicup New Member

Car:
    VW Corporate said no, you have to pay for it. The dealership has brought the cost down for the DPF install by $600. I've submitted an appeal with the VW diesel claims folks asking for them to reimburse me for the DPF.

The more I think about it, this is baloney. If the court had approved the fix two months earlier, this would be a warranty issue!

10. mrblah

mrblah Member

Car:
    VW JSW 2014 TDI 6sp
    You could always go to a muffler shop, ask them to make a hasty DPF delete for less (maybe?) than the 600$.

Or order up your DPF delete kit online and install it temprarily. Then they do the work, reinstalling the new equipement and you keep the kit for when the dpf fails out of the extended warranty.

11. lightflyer1

lightflyer1 Member

Car:
    2015 Beetle tdi dsg
    Mods:
    RNS315 swap
    They won't do the work with it missing either and will probably land you in a worse spot than you are now. There are threads here on how to clean the valve and dpf. Do this and get it reset with VCDS and then take it in and try.

12. mrblah

mrblah Member

Car:
    VW JSW 2014 TDI 6sp
    Really? I didn't read this in the papers they sent me...

13. lightflyer1

lightflyer1 Member

Car:
    2015 Beetle tdi dsg
    Mods:
    RNS315 swap
    From the threads over at tdiclub.com people have been turned away due to missing emissions equipment as well. The warranty doesn't start until the fix is done. They seem to expect that everything is okay before starting the work. After that they warranty all the stuff. It wasn't in the papers as they don't expect anyone to show up with an emissions deleted car.

14. mrblah

mrblah Member

Car:
    VW JSW 2014 TDI 6sp
    Still.

Contractually, if they don't state in which case you can be turned away, you don't have a reason to expect to be turned away so they are dodgy as hell to do that...

15. lightflyer1

lightflyer1 Member

Car:
    2015 Beetle tdi dsg
    Mods:
    RNS315 swap
    It is against federal law to tamper with emissions equipment, so I think they have good reason to deny if the equipment is removed. Who will you complain to? The government won't back you if you have tampered and more than likely the courts won't either.

16. mrblah

mrblah Member

Car:
    VW JSW 2014 TDI 6sp
    Never mind I went and read the material again (at least for Canadian TDI):

But what I find interesting is I've heard of people with cracked DPFs that were asked to pay for the replacement before doing the fix... THAT has to be illegal right?

17. lightflyer1

lightflyer1 Member

Car:
    2015 Beetle tdi dsg
    Mods:
    RNS315 swap
    It can't be illegal until there is a law against it. Some have been asked to pay and some have been covered. Depends a lot on how you handle it. I would clean the valve and reset the codes as well as clean the tail pipe. Then see if it faults again. If not I would hurry in and have the work performed. There are also those who were told this and then switched to buyback instead.

Some links to read.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=481191
    http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=480278
    http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=481657
    http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=481473

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  18. mrblah

mrblah Member

Car:
    VW JSW 2014 TDI 6sp
    That's VW strategy in the long run I think...

19. lightflyer1

lightflyer1 Member

Car:
    2015 Beetle tdi dsg
    Mods:
    RNS315 swap
    I would think VW would like to buy back all it can and fix those that reasonably can be fixed and sell them. Scrap the others. The fewer of them on the road the less cost long term for emissions warranty coverage.