Steering problem

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by bearing, May 11, 2017.

1. bearing

bearing New Member

Car:
    VW Bora 2000
    Hi there,

I have a problem with the steering on my 2000 1.9tdi Bora/Jetta, the fault has been occuring for the past couple of weeks. The symptoms are that the steering feels notchy, it feels fine at times but then it feels like the steering is 'stuck' and I have to turn a bit more to actually get the wheels to turn. It feels like I would imagine it would feel if the power steering was intermittent. I've checked to see if there are any leaks but can't find anything at all so I am wondering if it's possibly the rack itself or possibly inner tie rods?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    It could be a problem with the tie rods or perhaps upper strut bearings? Something is jamming. Racks are usually pretty reliable other than leaks but perhaps.

3. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    id look at the belt tensioner and belt... sounds to me as if its not giving proper tension and the belt is slipping..

upper strut mounts when "tight/locking up" tend to "bong/bang" when it pops free...

tie rods will not do anything like that

a pump failing could...

a rack failing like the 3 day old one did.. but id expect it to have filled the footwell in fluid by now... dont buy advance/autozone one as their parts supplier sucks and do not stand behind their junk pos product

if your adding fluid.. but not marking its parking spot.. look inside the inner rack boot for oil.. holds it well till it fills up/splits from oil..

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2017
  4. Seatman

Seatman Well-Known Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    I've replaced a couple of racks for people now that have had that sort of issue, it's worth checking everything else first though but it could be the rack. There was no fluid leak at all, just like wear on the actual rack and pinion, like damaged teeth. Very bizarre, but thankfully it's a very easy job on the mk4

5. bearing

bearing New Member

Car:
    VW Bora 2000
    Thanks guys, a few things to look at.