Seat Leon Mistimed timing belt?

Discussion in 'SEAT and Škoda TDI' started by 88SzZ, Jul 13, 2016.

1. 88SzZ

88SzZ New Member

Car:
    Seat Leon Mk2 2005
    Hi,
    I have a 2.0 TDI (BKD), which has a timing belt, ran about 30k miles. (The car ran over 200k miles)
    I were at a mechanic, who said, that the car seems ok, but he thinks that the timing belt is misplaced.
    I do have a little high mpg, so I first checked the torsion value with VCDS. It's -1.0, but with the original belt it was -2.0, as I remember well. This shouldn't be a problem as far as I know.
    Then I removed the upper cover of the timing belt and I've seen that the left toothed belt sprocket's fixing screws have a ~7mm gap on the right (so retard), and the right toothed belt sprocket's fixing screws have a ~2mm gap on the right (so also retard).
    I marked the left toothed belt sprocket, so I can set back the original position later. Then I set the same position as on the right toothed belt sprocket, and turned over the crankshaft four times, just to be sure... Then I tried to start the car, and it did not started... After this I slowly moved back to the original position, and when the car first started, it started hard with higher idle rev (1100), high idle consumption (2,1l/h) and high idle stabilization values (1,2+) in VCDS (group 13). Then as I moved toward the original position, idle consumption and stabilization values decreased, until I reached the original position, where it started normally and with the usual values (0,7-0,8l/h idle consumption and below 0,7 idle stabilization values).

Based on this test, I think, that the left toothed belt sprocket is misplaced with one or two teeth in clockwise direction (so should be turned back one or two teeth), and the talented mechanic made a compensation with the torsion value on the left toothed belt sprocket.

Is it possible? How can I check, that I'm right or not?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

I would check the timing belt fitment and timing with my TDI Timing Belts App

If you have access to VAG-COM\VCDS I would check the check the timing VCDS Timing Checker

Post moved to correct section for none Audi/VW models and renamed as it isn't really misplaced.

3. 88SzZ

88SzZ New Member

Car:
    Seat Leon Mk2 2005
    Thanks, I'll try the TDI timing belt app, but as it is a PDtdi, I can't use the VCDS Timing checker.

However, I don't understand, why it is not an Audi/VW topic. Ok, it's a Seat, but the 2.0 PD-TDI (namely the BKD engine) is a VW/Audi (and Skoda) engine too, equal to the last nut and bolt, and I don't think, anybody would notice and click on my topic here.

4. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    The only way to check is to reset everything at TDC.

If it's running OK, I would not mess with it. If they didn't get it right but because the sprocket holes are way off to one side, it's possible that somehow they got it right.

5. 88SzZ

88SzZ New Member

Car:
    Seat Leon Mk2 2005
    Thanks for the infos for both of you! I'll reset everything at TDC, just to be sure.

Magnus likes this.