Seat Ibiza 1.9 TDI Project - AGR Engine -Bringing back to life?

Discussion in 'SEAT and Škoda TDI' started by Kulbit, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Kulbit

Kulbit New Member

Car:
    Seat Ibiza 1.9 TDI "AGR" engine
    Mods:
    none yet
    Hi guys, I started this thread cause I want to share my Seat Ibiza rebuild project with you.

As I mentioned to you on my introduction, Im working to fix a recently bought Seat Ibiza 2001 TDI with AGR engine, 103.000 miles on odometer (very cheap for our standar car prices (US$ 1600), cars are very pricey here, even used ones). The idea is to fix it to bring it to my wife as a daily conmuter car.

The car has not been used since 12 months or so.

Preliminary Considerations

1. Engine was smoking badly from exhasut. Grey smoke with heavy "burning oil" smell.
    2. Some contamination (oil maybe?) on coolant reservoir. None of white jam on oil, oil cap, oil dip. Just some old oil present (low level) on inside of engine block.
    3. No oil on radiator or block coolant galleries.
    4. I already remove intercooler. Plenty of oil inside. Around half a quarter.
    5. Turbo is a Garrett GT1544S. Removed by myself. Plenty of shaft play, the most at the compressor stage. Rotor damaged. Turbine (hot stage) a lot bett

I will post pictures very soon.

I have some asks for you. Thanks for your help.

1) Diverting oil pressure from broken turbo are enough to damage Crank and rods ends?
    2) How is the best method to clean oil lines? inside and outside of the engine? I must remove the oil pan? Its ok to simple putting new oil and oil filter, and start the engine after turbo reinstalled?
    3) Original brand new Garrett Turbo quoted U$D 1900 here in Argentina. Fixing it on a very good reputation Turbo Service, a.k.a. Turbolar S.A., 430 U$D, including center, axis, rotors change, balancing, and testing on a VSR machine. Any suggestions?

Thank you again guys.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Best Regards .. .

Lucas Bischof (from Cordoba, Argentina).

2. Vwman2015

Vwman2015 Member

Car:
    Vw golf, mk5 2005 sdi, bkd engine
    Hi Lucas

Sodium hyrorxdide caustic soda to clean parts, get back to this in a mo.

From what you describe it's a turbo failure and not a gasket,
    Turbo shaft and sills gone and blasted oil through the inlet and into the piston combustion chambers.

Things to look for is;
    Hydro lock, when a piston try to compress oil and the conrod bends.
    Also check bearings and shells etc, check piston bores for scores etc.

So that soda stuff it cleans the oil,
    Take the inlet and outlet manifolds off, also the intercooler and pipes, egr.

Bath them is a tub of soda over night and check and clean them next down with a wire brush and hose, repeat until clean.

Now clean the inlet out ports of the manifolds on the head with white spirits,
    Carefully clean the valve and head without damaging the injectors with w/spirits and cloths etc.

Next the drain sump, now unbolt, remove pistons and throw in soda tub for clean.
    Hang the piston in the tub on string with masking tape numbered 1-4 piston.
    Put the rod bearing shells in a takeaway tub of w/spirit seperateley a gain numbered 1-4 to match each piston.

Now with the bottom block empty attempt to clean it internally with w/spirit or degreaser.

Now exam all parts for ware and the piston bores etc.

If all is good refit all parts with new gaskets etc, and the new turbo,
    When replacing turbo replace the turbo oil feed pipe too.

3. Kulbit

Kulbit New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    none yet
    Vwman2015, thanks for your response.

I will try with the Caustic Soda, btw, it cannot be done with alluminion and alloys pieces, I´m right?

What do you think about installing an oil filter modifying oil feed pipe ? Such some Trucks Scania, or Mercedes Benz use to improve turbo lifespan ?
    Any comments?

Thank you again folks !

Looking forward to hear from you.

Best Regards .. .

4. Kulbit

Kulbit New Member

Car:
    Mods:
    none yet
    Here some aditional pictures.

Blown Garrett GT1544S.