Scary knocking

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by Lewis Heaton, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Lewis Heaton

Lewis Heaton New Member

Car:
    Golf tdi alh
    Mods:
    Coilovers, turbo back exhaust and decat
    Hey guys

I took my car out this morning drove 12mile to there and back

With no problems then went to go out again 20mins later tried to start up and I had a massive knocking which sounded like rod knock on every cylinder then a Loud pop but the engine didn't start or turn over for more then two seconds turned the key off.

Then checked Cambelt intercooler and oil for any metal parts or damage also hand turned the engine over fine but nothing could be found.

Then an hour later I thought we'll if it's dead its dead so I gave the key one last try and boom she started on the button so I repeated this 3 times and all worked perfectly and drove like a dream

All advice would be helpful of what I can look for

2. Lewis Heaton

Lewis Heaton New Member

Car:
    Golf tdi alh
    Mods:
    Coilovers, turbo back exhaust and decat
    Sorry I forgot to mention it is the mk4 Golf 1.9 tdi ALH 90PS Bosch VE pump.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2017
  3. Kirky03

Kirky03 Member

Car:
    2001 Golf TDI
    Mods:
    Ventectomy
    This sounds like a fuel related issue to me, try reving up the engine with the hood open to see if there is air bubbles in the fuel feed line to the injection pump. Heres a good thread on how to solve this issue, hope this helps! http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=68872