Rough Idle, IQ all over. HELP!

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by Kirky03, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Kirky03

Kirky03 Member

Car:
    2001 Golf TDI
    Mods:
    Ventectomy
    Recently changed the engine with a known good engine in my 2001 Golf TDI 5 speed, pp520's ARP studs, VNT-17, south bend stage 2 daily. Everything was great except for I had a cold starting issue, very hard to start when I did a cold start, with lots of white smoke, car would start much better when the weather was cold enough for the glow plugs to come on. Yesterday I had a very rough idle, IQ was all over the place but the car still had great power and drove great. This morning I decided to changed the IP with a know good 11 mm pump, thinking this would fix all of my problems! Nope, this didn't fix any of the problems at all, car has more power but still has a very rough idle and the IQ is all over the place! Right now I only have a cheap Ebay VCDS cable BUT I have a genuine cable coming from Brian at Roseland as we speak! Also the injector stabilization is at 1.88 for all four cylinders? Someone please help me get my daily driver back!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  2. Kirky03

Kirky03 Member

Car:
    2001 Golf TDI
    Mods:
    Ventectomy
    Update; received the genuine VCDS cable from Brian, adjusted timing to be "dead on", this helped with engine noise and seemed to help the idle a little bit. IQ is still jumping around at idle though, seems to be worse after you drive it. EX; come in off the highway and it will idle up and down from about 900 to 1150 RPM, after it idles for 20 seconds or so the idle comes down to about 1000 RPM and seams to be somewhat smoother but not where it should be. Also the injector stabilization is back to normal!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2017
  3. Kirky03

Kirky03 Member

Car:
    2001 Golf TDI
    Mods:
    Ventectomy
    Another update; found another thread from "i'll named" over on TDI club, this is a good read for others who have similar issues, after reading his thread I thought for sure I narrowed my problem down to the wiring somewhere. after more searching I found some wiring information from ANDY BEE'S. With that information I verified 8 of the 10 wires that go from the 10 pin connector to the ECU, all wires had good continuity, for the last two wires (pin 5 and 10) Andy also provided a break down of where those two wires go to. I verified those wires as well, no issues with the wiring at all!! I'm starting to get frustrated with this on going problem. today I decided to pull out all the glow plugs and do a compression test...warmed up the engine, sprayed with penetrating oil and pulled all 4 glow plugs out with no issues at all, after removing the #1 glow plug I noticed that the tip of the glow plug was almost all gone and it looked to have some aluminum on it. Continued with the compression test and everything checked out to be great. Changed all the glow plugs with new ones I had laying around and tried it out... same issues remain. From there I changed each injector with known good injectors, also no change. I'm honestly out of ideas, I have no idea what up with this car, could it be a damaged piston that's causing hard cold starts and a rough idle? Next I'll be taking the quantity adjuster covers off to inspect for dirt and proper operation! In between all this I replaced the 109 relay with no luck as well!