Replacement vehicle for your buyback

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by love of TDI, Feb 1, 2017.

1. love of TDI

love of TDI New Member

Car:
    2014 Passat TDI sport
    I am curious to find out what people are doing (or in Canada going to do) with the eventual payback offer. I have a 2014 Passat TDI and have driven the TSI and find that it is not as responsive... I also drove a BMW TDI and found it more noisy than my current car (and it was a newer 2016 model and its way mo money for what it has to offer). Let's not revisit Dieselgate as I am still a TDI fan and expect to be for the next while. Drove a hybrid honda and fusion and honestly they are very disappointing. They start out great until the 4 cylinder engine kick in and flood the car interior with noise!?? And they do not have that taut driving feel you get from a German car... Let me know what you did or plan to do...

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Active Member

Car:
    2015 Prius Four, 2014 Corolla S, 2010 Prius II, Cimbria SS
    Mods:
    n/a
    My opinion is NOT with the majority here...and I am not looking to stir the pot. I purchased my VW TDI for "reported" reliability, high MPG and low TCO. Speaking as a Mechanic...that was my single biggest mistake in a car purchase...EVER! Good thing I dumped it right before "dieselgate" or I would have lost even more money. If you are a diesel fanboy that wants to play at the stop light, more power to ya. If you want "real" reliability, high MPG and low TCO...buy a Toyota...then go buy a toy for the weekend. My daily driver is a Prius....this is my toy to "waste money" on.

CIMBRIA SS0084.jpg

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  3. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
    '12 Golf TDI sold to VW 2/8/17
    Yes you are, that's pretty much all you do in almost every post you make... Your statements of how horrible these cars are apply to your situation and your situation alone; the vast majority of TDI owners have had very little issue with their cars and you perfectly well know it.

We get it, you hate your car, enough already.

OP: I'm planning on a 2014 BMW 328D xDrive; I know you said you didn't like them but other than being slightly louder I thought it was a great car. Depreciation on them is nearly 50% in 2 years (luxury car hit) so they are far more affordable, and CPO models have an exvcellent warranty. I also drove a 2014 535D xDrive and it was pretty amazing in every way, but I would be unable to get that one with a warranty so I have to pass... My alternative was a 2017 GTI, as they are amazingly fun to drive; but as you have a Passat to begin with you may want to consider a CC? Another option would be a new or slightly used Audi A4 or A6 TDI as you are still a fan (the newer 2015 models have a fix available).

Guess what it really comes down to is what do you need the car to do?

mu2bdriver likes this.
  4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    n/a
    As a Career Professional Mechanic I offered a respectful, polite, diplomatic and practical solution....and DubFamily is a perfect example of "some" of the acknowledged base...a Fanboy.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  5. SIF1950

SIF1950 Member

Car:
    Jetta Sportwagen 2014
    Certified 2013 Toyota RAV4 Limited with 24k on the clock (lease return). Fuel consumption not in diesel or hybrid range, but not bad for size. Our JSW TDI had been purchased, in part, for the utility of a station wagon.

frodoz737 likes this.
  6. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
    As useful as all your posts. I never commented on your suggested solution, just your typical drivel on "reported reliability" and your "expert" opinion (I doubt that very much) on how horrible these cars are... You can call me whatever names you want; it will not change the fact that you are just a bitter former owner with no real clue about reliability of these cars beyond your own.

All one has to do is look at your post history to see just how poisonous your comments are.

mu2bdriver likes this.
  7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    n/a
    ....and what is it you do for a living again?

Better yet, let's start a new thread so we can discuss just how experienced and qualified a Mechanic you are...because I guarantee you are not qualified to hold my flashlight. I have NEVER attacked or insulted you first, but I don't back down either.

So bring it.

virgopelo likes this.
  8. mu2bdriver

mu2bdriver Active Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    Stock
    Most, if not all, of the AMT's I've known, from GA, airline, corporate, service center, etc. drive beaters that haven't seen a wrench since it left the factory. The parking lot looks like a high school vo tech lot. Just because you passed an A&P, IA, or something higher up the food chain and can work off of a job card doesn't make you a maintenance expert on all things. Isn't there a Prius forum you can indulge and impress the commoners with your maintenance expertise? As far as me (or others) not being qualified to hold your flashlight, that sounds like hangar mechanic talk because that attitude wouldn't last long on line maintenance when you're turning airplanes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DubFamily likes this.
  9. frodoz737

frodoz737 Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    n/a
    Knows someone and sounds like? We have another expert here folks.[​IMG]

10. mu2bdriver

mu2bdriver Active Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    Stock
    It's funny that a little VW ate your lunch and you couldn't hack it. Go check your tire pressures and remove the pitot covers. Don't forget your logbook entries champ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DubFamily likes this.
  11. frodoz737

frodoz737 Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    n/a
    Hate to tell you this little man, but the only thing I chose not to not fix on that POS before I traded it in was the head unit..."sound familiar :rolleyes:". This was the single most expensive car to maintain and repair I ever owned in this class. By the way, EVERY other Mechanic I know and/or work with has dumped there's too. Do you not read all the consistent failures, reliability and quality control problems reported on this site...take a look at the list dumbass...and that's only a small sample. I even warned the 2012-2015 guys it was coming....oops! The reason CCBB is so well loved (and deserving-ly so) is because his site helps everyone deal with the excessive multitude of expensive problems, including not being raped by VW Dealership Service Departments...who by-the-way ARE the very worst.

As to your very, very limited familiarity with aircraft speak, which doesn't even amount to what a FNG is expect to know, tell the ramp buddy/mechanic/whatever you know (or used to know) to move on from general/corporate aviation. That's nothing but an entry level JOB to learn, that is the equivalent of working for Jiffy Lube or PepBoys...even as it applies to pilots.

You two "Gentlemen" totally hijacked "love of TDI's" thread seeking real advice with your Fanboy posturing. In fact mu2bdriver, YOU never even offered the OP any help...what-so-ever! As previously stated, I did not attack or insult anyone first, but I fire back if someone starts it. I suggest if you insist on embarrassing yourself any further, that you also start your own thread "on topic" and I'll help you with that task. You guys are the type the would argue with a Doctor when he shows you the x-ray of your broken arm...even though the bone is poking out of your skin...amazing.

I will give you this one though, your 2003 TDI Jetta and the 2003 TDI Golf were the "least" problematic of the entire run. Milk it for what's left.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  12. SIF1950

SIF1950 Member

Car:
    Jetta Sportwagen 2014
    Used to practice law and I learned it is not necessary to get in the last word.

13. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
    Being a mechanic does not make you an expert, it just makes you skilled labor. Unlike you, I have no need to brag about my qualifications or insult others to feel important.

By all means, please carry on and keep telling me how amazing you are :rolleyes::deadhorse

mu2bdriver likes this.
  14. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Please keep the discussion civil and productive. There's no need to resort to personal attacks when there's plenty of scorn to direct at VW :D, thank you.

frodoz737, DubFamily and SIF1950 like this.
  15. 2011GolfTDI

2011GolfTDI Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI DSG
    You're right, the TSI is not as responsive as a TDI, but for me, it's responsive enough. I now own a 2017 Golf S. Shame VW didn't offer the 1.4 for the Golf.

16. frodoz737

frodoz737 Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    n/a
    Nice try at flipping it around DubFamily. You "forced me" to show how totally lacking your (and mu2bdriver's) credibility was when you made it personal. As previously stated: I have NEVER attacked or insulted first, but I don't back down either. I am not the enemy here. As CCBB said, "there's plenty of scorn to direct a VW".

17. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
    I didn't make it personal (stating your mechanic trade does not make you an expert is not personal, it is fact), you did. And you continue to...

Honestly, I'm just taking a page from others at this point and blocking you. You have nothing useful to add to this conversation and simply insult anyone who calls you on it.

Have a nice life, go fix someone's car...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    mu2bdriver likes this.
  18. frodoz737

frodoz737 Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    n/a
    Re-read your first post on this thread DubFamily (and yours too mu2bdriver) and tell me who attacked who first. This even AFTER acknowledging in the first statement, of my first post... "My opinion is NOT with the majority here...and I am not looking to stir the pot." Followed shortly after with... "If you are a diesel fanboy that wants to play at the stop light, more power to ya."

I do now and will continue to have a nice life...but consider my time and money far to precious to waste working on VWs marketed and sold as reliable, high MPG, low TCO daily drivers...because they are not! So says a career Mechanic.

There's a reason for my signature below.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017