Replacement DMF kit for MkV with DSG?

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by Rig, May 14, 2017.

1. Rig

Rig Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI, 1998 Jetta TDI
    I've been looking for replacement kits for the dual-mass flywheel on my 2006 TDI Jetta, with DSG. I haven't taken it apart yet to see if it is a Sachs or a LuK.

Are the two brands interchangeable in this regard? Or do I need to take a look at what I have first, before ordering a kit?

I want to find a better DMF than what came with the car, since it has been making some noises since the 40K mark, 90 thousand miles ago! The good news is that it has lasted and not gotten much worse, but the fact that it started making noises when the car was new tells me that the DMF was wimpy to start with--at least when the springs had no tension on them. I have heard that some of the OEM flywheels had bad springs and parts, and it that's true, I guess mine was one of those.

What are the best replacements out there? I am looking for a kit, with the 12m torx wrenches, flywheel locks, and new bolts and stretch bolts.

login to remove this ad
  2. leocat66

leocat66 Member

Car:
    V W, 2006 JETTA, TDI
    Really have no idea concerning your question but hope you will document your procedure as we all are subject to dealing with this problem sooner or later. Must be quite an undertaking.

3. Rig

Rig Member

Car:
    There is a great instruction post here on changing the flywheel, and I plan to follow it closely. I'm still looking for a source for the correct flywheel. They make a different flywheel for every motor and every transmission combo. Ebay has a lot of them, but info is scanty.

4. Rig

Rig Member

Car:
    I got the LuK flywheel from ID parts, and they had the bolts in stock also. LuK appears to be the only supplier for the 1.9L and DSG combo in the MkV.