Replaced Injector seals, now won't start

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by terpsgeorgia, Nov 1, 2017.

1. terpsgeorgia

terpsgeorgia Member

Car:
    06 Jetta TDI
    Trying to figure out what I did wrong....

I used this video as a basis:

I removed the injector rocker, unplugged the injector carefully, the removed the injector hold down bolt. Rocked the injector back and forth with a light rope under it to lift until it came out. Removed the old seals. Used some vaseline as suggested on the video and coated the new o rings (but not the copper rings and snap ring). Put it all back together.

To Adjust the injector, I used to instructions on another site. Basically intake lobe of cam pointing at the hole on the rocker arm. Tighten injector until it stops with 6mm allen wrench, back off 180 degrees and then tighten the locking nut.

I thought perhaps I had gotten some air in the system so I cranked it pretty hard (with breaks to protect the starter). But I did not purge the fuel system, perhaps that is the next thing to do (although turned the key on and off about 10 times before trying to start as I seem to recall that is the process for after removing the tandem pump).

I clearly missed something.. Anyone have any suggestions where this could have gone wrong?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2017
  2. terpsgeorgia

terpsgeorgia Member

Car:
    06 Jetta TDI
    Ok, I purged the fuel system, no air, that's not the problem....

3. terpsgeorgia

terpsgeorgia Member

Car:
    06 Jetta TDI
    So I found a writeup that had caliper based measurements from the head wall to the edge of the injectors. I adjusted these and I still can't get my car started.. Is it possible to flood a diesel? One writeup suggested removing the glow plugs to blow out "old" diesel if you change the seals, is that necessary and recommended?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2017
  4. terpsgeorgia

terpsgeorgia Member

Car:
    06 Jetta TDI
    Well, alls well that ends well. FINALLY got the car running. Goodness, that is not something I ever want to do again.

And for those who read this later, I would STRONGLY discourage using the non-stretch injector hold down bolts. The vendor said to torque to 15 ft-lbs and I would not go past 12. Every one I torqued to 15 (and yes I used a torque wrench), stripped out of the head and I had to helicoil them. I think I'll need to buy a new battery after all that cranking though.

5. Vdubcaddy

Vdubcaddy Member

Car:
    Vw caddy 2004
    What was the answer? To keep cranking until she fires?

6. terpsgeorgia

terpsgeorgia Member

Car:
    06 Jetta TDI
    When I read the write up on the measurements for the injector locations, there was no diagram and I misinterpreted where the measurement point on the inejector was taken. I found a more detailed write up, which included diagrams, and armed with that, I readjusted. Then I pulled the glow plugs out and cranked until I could smell fuel, a lot less strain on the starter. From there, it did not take much cranking to get the engine to start.

Vdubcaddy likes this.
  7. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Well post 1# the YouTube video isn't available, have you searched for it?

8. terpsgeorgia

terpsgeorgia Member

Car:
    06 Jetta TDI
    The video was there for a while, I noticed it disappeared later. Not sure what the deal is, but it was not my video....

Here was the writeup with the diagrams.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017 at 3:31 PM