replaced camshaft - engine seems louder with OEM replacement cam

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by terpsgeorgia, Jun 8, 2017.

1. terpsgeorgia

terpsgeorgia New Member

Car:
    06 Jetta TDI
    Hoping I did not screw something up. But it seems the engine is louder than before, like an exhaust leak sound. It runs, no CEL or anything, just louder. I did 2 full crank revolutions with hand tools before hitting with the starter and compression seemed reasonable. Did seem harder to start (stalled a few times) at first but I did crank it with the injectors depowered to make sure all was well. Have not done the 20 minute 1500 RPM break in yet. A bit nervous I damaged something but not sure how, nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary from the wiki...

Any comments or suggestions? Perhaps this is normal for a brief time while the new lifters break in?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  2. audi1z

audi1z Member

Car:
    Audi 80 1Z Engine
    I would exclude pistons and valves hitting because of overfilled hydraulic lifters. You first made the crank revolutions by hand, and do not talk about blockage during turning.
    Most probably the lifters still are filling up when he engine is running, this may take even minutes, and gives a clattering noise.

3. terpsgeorgia

terpsgeorgia New Member

Car:
    06 Jetta TDI
    I figured it out, and am glad I was really careful to hand turn the engine first.

Turns out my cam locking pin in the kit I ordered was slightly too big. I thought it locked but it did not so timing was slightly out as I assume the cam turned slightly. I ended up grinding the pin down so it would lock the cam securely. I am certain it is right now.

Torsion value is -2.94, so I'll need to bump it a bit...

Thanks for the input!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  4. Jason Newton

Jason Newton New Member

Car:
    2006 VW Jetta TDI
    About to undertake this myself (colt camshaft install) and want to know where you rented (or purchased) the timing belt / camshaft tools?

If you did buy them (and would be interested in selling) let me know :)

5. terpsgeorgia

terpsgeorgia New Member

Car:
    06 Jetta TDI