Replace turbo?

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by Rig, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Rig

Rig Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI, 1998 Jetta TDI
    I have a 2006 Jetta sedan TDI (low VIN #) When I was replacing the DMF, I noticed that the turbo has been leaking oil onto the heater hoses. It looks like it comes out of the shaft. Also, there is a lot of play in the waste gate from wear. This rattles a bit at low rpm.

The car is running really good right now--new camshaft, new flywheel, new timing belt, custom Kerma tune--but now that the engine is a lot smoother and quieter, I am hearing a solid whoosh before the turbo kicks in, and after I feather off, in a high-vacuum stage. Turbo boost is good, and the engine is powerful. The whoosh is exactly what my Chevy pickup engine sounds like when the air cleaner is off and the carb gets to the high-vacuum stage.

I know the whoosh could be coming from many different sources, or it could be entirely normal for this car. Performance is not an issue at the moment.

The rattle that comes from the play in the waste gate is annoying but goes away mostly when the engine is warm.

I am hearing for the first time the turbo winding down after I turn off the engine.

My question is whether the oil leak, the whoosh, the rattle, the whirring wind-down indicate that I need a new turbo.

This is what happens when you fix the engine so you can start to hear the little stuff!

2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    High mileage could indicate some need. Check the turbo stop screw as well, article in FAQ about it, but be careful to not snap of the little nub!

I would also drive it until you experience symptoms. Unless you have the engine runaway from oil leak, it usually doesn't cause much catastrophic damage if the turbo fails, but you should obviously fix it before it ever comes to that.

3. Rig

Rig Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI, 1998 Jetta TDI
    129,000 miles now.

The symptoms are the vacuum sound and the gate rattle sound, and of course the oil leaking onto the heater hoses and weakening them. Hard to say whether the performance is perfect, but it still puts you back in the seat when the turbo kicks in. The shudder in the parking lot is not pleasant. But that's the only time--starting out with no throttle.

But the turbo replacement looks difficult, in tight spaces. And the new turbos are expensive.

4. ncsteinb

ncsteinb New Member

Car:
    2006 BRM Jetta Manual, 2002 ALH Jetta Manual, 1997 318ti w/turbo 6cyl (M50) swap
    Mods:
    Koni Yellow adjustable dampers, H&R Sport Springs, ECS Tuning Dogbone insert, ECS Single Mass Flywheel (both), EGR delete (both), Malone tune (both), BMW-> All of the mods!
    I snapped off the NUB! It wasn't fun to rebuild with welding and machining..
    19366068_10154679839557314_8453003023195735421_n.jpg