Quieter Tires - Noisy factory fit LRR

Discussion in '2014+ Chevy Cruze diesel forum and club' started by Thomas63r2, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Thomas63r2

Thomas63r2 New Member

Car:
    2015 Chevy Cruze
    I haven't actually bought a Cruze Diesel yet - my test drive left me wondering if the factory fit LRR tires are the reason for high tire noise on the highway. Decades ago I owned a diesel Rabbit, and other than being a slug it was hands down the thriftiest car I have ever owned. I have no memory of my diesel Rabbit's Michelin tires being noisy. I recently changed jobs and now drive 120 or more miles a day, so I thought I might change out from my Chevy Avalanche (~ 17 mpg avg), to a diesel Cruze. The Cruze was very nice. I can live with the odd reduced standing start power curve (which I presume was engineered in to give the transmission longer life - but I was amazed how intrusive tire noise filled the interior at highway speeds. To me it was clearly tire noise, the Cruze diesel engine is quiet inside the car. My Avalanche is super quiet on the highway like most luxury cars, and a quiet ride is one of the qualities I like in a car. A couple of years ago I put long life tires on my mom's Impala, and they howled like crazy on the highway (but lived up to the tire shop's claim of wearing like cement) - thankfully she only drove in the city so it didn't bother her at all. When she passed on my brother kept the Impala and one of the first things he did was to change out the tires - and presto, the quiet luxury highway ride returned to the Impala.

I don't mind shelling out for new tires on a brand new car - but it is my understanding that the factory spec LRR tires are an important contributor to the great mileage.

Has anyone here changed out their original Cruze tires for a standard quiet ride tire? If so what was the hit to mileage? Or is there something else other than LRR tires that I might be mistaking for highway tire noise?

Thanks, Thomas

login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Some of it's roads, I found the Cruze pretty quiet. It could have been different tires on yours though, I don't remember which ones it had. Road ruts from trucks cause noise.

Look at tire rack's surveys - noise is one they rate.

I've quieted my car by spraying rubber undercoating in the wheel wells (behind wheel well liner) and putting some stick on soundproofing on the back of the wheel wells. Not done yet but I noticed a difference for sure. Not as good as soundproofing the cabin but 1/20th the work.

But to answer your first question, yes LRR tires are usually harder. Harder = last longer. Touring tires are usually cushier and ride quieter, and summer tires have softer rubber and also ride quieter as long as it's not a performance tire that is made to be stiffer. Also avoid runflats - they ride harder/harsher/more noise because of construction and IMHO, tradeoffs are not worth the runflast capability.

I just put on michelin premiers and they are pretty quiet but they still had a distinct noise. I tried michelin pilot sport as3 and they made noise on my car which was disappointing because the reviews all said they were quieter. Much better handling/response than the premiers which are squishy (like most touring tires). Your preferences may vary. The equal pirelli is slightly cheaper and is supposed to be slightly quieter. To make things more confusing for you, some tires just don't work as well as others on certain cars.

Since you haven't bought the car yet, try to see if the dealer can swap the tires on the one you tested with another one on the lot which may have better reviews.

3. Thomas63r2

Thomas63r2 New Member

Car:
    2015 Chevy Cruze
    Thanks for the reply. Probably with so few Cruze members here no one has changed out their factory tires yet. I like the Tire Rack and I have learned a few tricks on how to read tire specifications when looking for a quiet comfortable ride: 1) pick the lighter tire. If you have two same size tire choices and one tire weighs 24 lbs and another weighs 29 lbs, then pick the lighter tire 2) go for the tire with a lower rated load capacity, usually a lower rated load capacity means a less stiff sidewall. These are Texas asphalt highways, not California rain groove highways.

My guess is that a quiet cushy non-LRR tire will cut 3 or 4 mpg off the factory issue tires.

4. Theomarakas

Theomarakas Member

Car:
    '13 Jetta Sportwagen TDI '15 Tiguan
    Mods:
    Too many too list
    Thank you for mentioning the above, Michelin tires were my choice for the next tire change for my Sportwagen TDI. Currently the car still has the Continentals that came from the factory, they are great gripping tires for the particular car BUT.....they are loud. No very very loud but loud. They are 17" and somewhat soft, which is fine by me, I don't race my car, however, the sportwagen isn't a quiet car. I love everything about it especially the TDI and DSG but sound insulation could be better. I've been using Continental tires for 2 decades and never had issues. Some of the Sportwagen owners have complained about noise and few mentioned that they've found relief by changing the tires. Anyone with more personal experience....please chime in....Thanks

5. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Well-Known Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    LRR tires really are a joke. To roll with less resistance, traction is what is given up which equals a tire that is less safe in limited traction conditions and/or emergency collision avoidance.

My wife's 1997 Chev Cavalier had some really horrid OEM tires that might be considered LRR. The rears lasted something like 100K miles. They were noisy and would cause the ABS to come on if you tried to stop when it was raining and you used more than very gentle braking.

6. Theomarakas

Theomarakas Member

Car:
    '13 Jetta Sportwagen TDI '15 Tiguan
    Mods:
    Too many too list
    Your theory makes a lot of sense. You can't have low resistance and maximum grip at the same time. Also, a tire that can last for 100k miles won't give any grip either. Softer compound tires are the best but longevity will be sacrificed. Anything you do to achieve something will also have its drawbacks. That's a given. It is just a matter of finding a balance that one can live with. Low profile tires have cons and pros. Same goes for wide vs thin, aggressive pattern vs smooth, soft sidewall vs rigid. I believe in sticking with tire sizes, temperature and tread wear recommended by the manufacturer and if changing to a different type of tire trying not to be too aggressive. Having said that, I just changed my tires from Continental extreme contact OEM to Continental DWS summer, the grip and cornering improved a lot but the noise is only slightly better. I was going to buy yet Michelins recommended by some other users but they were 50% more expensive and the results.....well, could be a gamble.....

7. MartinC

MartinC New Member

Car:
    Cruze Diesel
    Yes, the stock tires are only good for Fuel economy, nothing else.

They dont have decent grip, acceptable water resistance or noise/confort level. On the other hand, the Cruze Diesel has so much sound proofing on it that most users wont notice.

Im changing tires soon, gonna keep the stock one in storage for when i sell the car.