Prophylactic tandem pump?

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by jeffhodge69, May 16, 2017.

1. jeffhodge69

jeffhodge69 Member

Car:
    2006 Golf TDI
    Mods:
    Green Diesel Engineering Tune, Diesel Geek Short Throw Shifter
    Hey Gents!
    Finishing up cam swap/TB job. Car has 200K on it....would you guys replace the tandem pump just because? Now would be easy except for the wallet pain, but I figure it's gonna go at some point....right?

2. drucifer

drucifer Member

Car:
    2004 jetta tdi pd wagon
    Mods:
    panzer plate fmj
    If it's not leaking leave it alone. Leave your money in wallet for something that's actually broken.

3. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    ive yet to remove one of those pumps when doing a cam... so do not see any reason why now vs later matters :rolleyes:

4. smhorvat

smhorvat New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Are you saying to leave the pump alone and not remove it when doing a cam swap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    yea.. no fuel leaks.. once belt off i turn the crank ccw 90* so all 4 pistons mid stroke... then i turn the cam so the slot is up to remove it... when installing a cam i like to rotate it as i torque the bolts... so i always ccw the crank.. just a added bonus no pull/touch the pump...

why turn the cam as toquing it... if YOU screw up and put some cap on backwards or in wrong place.. it will 99% of the time lock the cam from turning before breaking... if it locks solid then you know last bolt touched has a issue.. the injector rockers will add alot of effort.. the cam... not even a 1/4 the resistance