Power steering system help needed please

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by Vw130, May 13, 2017.

1. Vw130

Vw130 Member

Car:
    VW GOLF GT TDI 130 PD
    On my mk4 golf does anyone know why I now have a problem with the steering wheel when turning it left or right with engine off its making a creaking sound in places and there's also a resistance when hearing the sound.

This is since fitting a new rack, pump and pressure hose and flushing the system. When I start the engine the sound disappears and I have no resistance almost until the steering wheel is turned to the right stop. I thought it was air in the system and turned steering to full lock either side countless times with engine off and also ticking over and it hasn't improved much maybe a little.

The resistance seems to change and sometimes increases and decreases but after several attempts to turn the steering wheel lock to lock it's still there. All help is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

login to remove this ad
  2. Dave N

Dave N New Member

Car:
    06 Golf TDI
    When you replaced the rack did it come with new tie rods? How did your subframe and suspension bushings look because it might be in one of those. This has also happened with cheap replacement racks

Vw130 likes this.
  3. Vw130

Vw130 Member

Car:
    VW GOLF GT TDI 130 PD
    Hi Dave N thanks for your help, it did come with inner tie rods fitted. I never really inspected the subframe or suspension bushings that much but I don't think they were too bad or I probably would have noticed. The inner tie rods haven't been connected to the hubs yet so don't think it can be the suspension bushings making the issue. The rack has the original Vw housing as it has the same stamped codes on it as the one that was removed and I am really hoping I don't have to go back with it. I'm near sick looking at the car it's been on axle stands that long cause of the steering rack. Out of curiosity why do you ask about the tie rods?

4. xeno555

xeno555 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2012 TDI Tech Package 6mt
    Mods:
    Malone Stage II. Rawtek 3" from Turbo to Tail. Slammed on Koni. TSW Nurmburg Rims. Whiteline Sway & Ends. Panzer Plate.
    Strut bearing?

Vw130 likes this.
  5. Vw130

Vw130 Member

Car:
    VW GOLF GT TDI 130 PD
    Hi, as mentioned above the tie rods aren't connected to the hubs yet so there isn't any movement of the struts but thanks for trying

6. Dave N

Dave N New Member

Car:
    06 Golf TDI
    Ah ok yea I didn't know it wasn't connected to the steering knuckles yet. Have you checked to make sure the noise isn't in the steering column universal shaft? Other than that the only thing I can think of at this point is adjusting the steering gear. If that doesn't take care of it you may have gotten a faulty rack.

I asked about the tie rods because depending on how old used tie rods are the ball end gets loose (especially if a boot is torn and its full of crud/dry) which can cause noise, binding, and shimmy

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    Vw130 likes this.
  7. Vw130

Vw130 Member

Car:
    VW GOLF GT TDI 130 PD
    I know what you mean by the tie rods possibly making a grinding binding sound if they dry but it ain't that either. If you are talking about the shaft that comes from the actual steering wheel itself and slots down over the splines on the steering rack shaft, then I haven't really checked it as it was good with last rack and hasn't got bent or anything since. I have removed it and tried to pull the inner tie rods in and out from either side to isolate the problem to the rack but it's hard to push and pull it as it seems so stiff and when it does move it seems to get stuck in places a bit like it felt when turning with the steering wheel.

Is it safe to adjust the steering gear, should it not be already done by the shop, and if not how to do it?

8. Dave N

Dave N New Member

Car:
    06 Golf TDI
    From the Bentley Manual image1.JPG

Vw130 likes this.
  9. Vw130

Vw130 Member

Car:
    VW GOLF GT TDI 130 PD
    Thanks for that but is that not only supposed to be adjusted if there is excessive play in the steering?

10. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    VW Technical Bentley - Volkswagen Jetta, Golf, GTI MK4 Service Manual - 1999-2005

Vw130 likes this.
  11. Vw130

Vw130 Member

Car:
    VW GOLF GT TDI 130 PD
    Thanks for the link to that. Some reading to be done there. Any more ideas on what the problem could be? Could air in the system cause the problem?

12. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    i had a zone/advance (same garbage company for both) rack completely fail in 3 days.... it short circuited in the pinion area the steering wheel attaches, blowing fluid up the shaft into the interior of the car.. while it did this it also made it impossible to turn the steering wheel as somehow the fluid pressure prevented the ability to turn... the only reason the owner did not die is cause it failed in her driveway on morning #2 she had it back.. if it would have failed while driving.. it was like you removed the key and locked the steeringwheel.. she in her 60s.. and lives on a 10mile road that maybe 1 mile is not a turn of some kind..

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    Vw130 likes this.
  13. Vw130

Vw130 Member

Car:
    VW GOLF GT TDI 130 PD
    That's a disgrace to see that. Instead of rushing new designed vehicles out the door for competition against other manufacturers there should be more time spent on testing their design for safety in all conditions before selling as many as they can. There seems to be 2 many recalls too nowadays with problems like brakes and other possibly life threatening issues which is unacceptable. It looks as if some manufacturers can only see numbers.

14. Vw130

Vw130 Member

Car:
    VW GOLF GT TDI 130 PD
    Have 2nd replacement rack fitted and seems good so far but just before finishing I have new worse problem posted in the forum. Just want to say thanks to everyone who helped me here it means a lot