Power Loss Mk5 Jetta 1.9 TDI 180k miles

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by Sam Parry, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Sam Parry

Sam Parry New Member

Car:
    Jetta Mk5 2006
    Hi all.

I've recently replaced my EGR valve because it was leaking from one of the seals, it was also REALLY gummed up with carbon. While doing this i also cleaned the throttle body and what I could reach of the intake manifold.

Since doing this I have random losses of power. In the extreme I lost almost all power on the motorway, the car had no pull and could only barely maintain 60mph. After pulling in at a services and starting the car again it was OK but still noticing very sudden very quick losses of power when maintaining a steady throttle.

Other symptoms are that the car seems to be blowing more black smoke from the exhaust. It seems to be taking more 'turn overs' from the engine to start and there was a slight oily residue in the intake by the throttle body pipe but nothing horrific and the car has never noticibly lost any oil.

It's a bit annoying because the problem isnt always obviously noticibly there but happens offen enough to be a pain in the ass. There are no warning lights on the dash.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Don't think that making an intro will fix this comment as you've already ask the question.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing.

3. Sam Parry

Sam Parry New Member

Car:
    Jetta Mk5 2006
    Apologies for that, I didn't realise. I'll try and get it scanned for some codes. Just putting the feeler out there for any common causes with these symptoms before I pay for the scan.