Power loss above 3000 rpm

Discussion in 'VW Mk3 Jetta, Passat TDI and other/older diesels' started by Klimthism8, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Klimthism8

Klimthism8 New Member

Car:
    1998 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    EGR delete, gutless cat
    I just bought a 1998 Jetta TDI with 165k on it. It runs good and pulls good off the line but once it gets to around 3000 rpm it just doesn't pull anymore. It will still spin up to red line pretty slowly tho. This is my first tdi so I'm just guessing this is not normal? Ive read lots of forums and trouble shooting guides and I tried just about everything i can to fix the issue. I will list off what I have done. EGR delete, cleaned intake, gutted cat, new maf, new n75, new fuel filter, clean air filter and snow screen, replace vac line too ecu and inside ecu, installed boost gauge I'm getting 12psi and I have also done a boost leak test. I originally had a p1550 code but it hasn't come back since I had it cleared after I did the egr delete and intake. It does run slightly better after doing all those things but it still feels like something fuel related is holding it back up top.

login to remove this ad
  2. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    things to look ar
    check for codes
    look and see if intake plugged up
    boost leaks.. a small one gets big under boost
    vag-com to see what pump timing is.. can do this with #1 but will make car hot

other
    air filter and snow screen
    exhaust... crap plugs them up.. includig the cat...