Post glow plug recall hard or no start in cold temperature

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by chittychittybangbang, Jan 23, 2010.

?

Does your post GP recall TDI have cold starting problems or rough running?

1. No but I haven't had the glow plug recall done or unknown

9 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. No but I live in a warm area

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. No and I had the glow plug recall done

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. Yes and I had the glow plug recall done

24 vote(s)
    61.5%
  5. Yes and I did not have the glow plug recall done or unknown

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ChrisRoser

ChrisRoser New Member

Car:
    05 B5.5, 05 NB coupe, 04 Audi Allroad 2.7T 6 speed, Work in progress: 2001 Audi allroad 2.0L BHW, TDI 01E. SB Stg 3 clutch with whitebred FW and Fluidamper, GTB2260VK, Firad +80% Nozzles, Stg 3 Colt cam, FMIC, Balance Shaft Delete
    Mods:
    Tons of Mods
    So how about us other poor souls who still have the original Bosch ceramics installed???? I had received the original recall notice but when I called to schedule the appointment was told that they had discontinued the recall. I have an 05 BEW New Beetle.

login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    You get a nice balloon that says thank you for buying a Volkswagen, we value the customer so here's a free car wash.

I'm only 99% sure but you should be able to use NGK glow plugs without any further modification. The voltage is the same and physically they are plug-play.

The difference is that the original Bosch GP had a narrow tip that broke off. The NGK glow plug has a steel sheath halfway down and a wide tip. It should be better. The reason for the reflash was that the steel glow plugs used a different voltage and you couldn't just replace-remove.

The new 7V NGK glow plugs are the same voltage as your old Bosch glow plugs.

3. phazer

phazer New Member

Car:
    2002 Jetta
    Most dealers will still update you car to the new stuff. Even though it states that you had to have the previous recall done.

For more info, all cars but the Passat will get a new control module for the glow plugs along with an update ECM.

4. sag

sag New Member

Car:
    2005 Jetta tdi wagon
    I received the warranty extension notice as well because I had 28E6/R8 service action performed on my 2005 Jetta TDI wagon. I have noticed a difference starting the car in colder temperatures. Instead of the engine turning right over it cranks a couple of times and then turns. I also notice a weird, quick sound just after it starts - like a whirring noise (or possible recranking?). I made an appointment with the dealer and went to drop the car off last night. The dealer service rep told me that I would be charged $100 diagnostic fee if the problem was not directly related to the warranty extension and if I did not have the problem fixed by them. I told them to forget and left with my car. I called VW corporate this morning to ask how I could know for sure if I am experiencing this problem but the rep could not tell me. She said she wasn't technical and couldn't tell me what to look for. I asked if she could find out and get back to me and she said 'no' and that the dealer could do that. I explained my hesitation to take it to the dealer due to the diagnostic charge and she said basically, that their mechanics need to get paid. Grrrrr.

Can anyone give me more info as to what I can look for to know if I have this problem?

5. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    If the cold start problem is not related to the glow plug service action, than tell them to do the glow plug fix and not do anything else. This way you won't get charged and will get to see if there is an improvement. Explicitly tell the dealer you do not authorize charges.

6. Tom MacDonald

Tom MacDonald Member

Car:
    2004 Jetta TDI Station Wagon (North American)
    Currently having hard start in cold conditions . Glow plug light on instrument cluster comes on for about 5 seconds before I start, so they should be having time to warm up.

Wrote to VW to ask if they could tell me if my car ever got any service done as part of the recall.

Their response:

After reviewing your vehicle information and history, we can confirm that your vehicle was unaffected by a recall for the glowplugs. We can advise you that your vehicle did have a warranty extension on the glowplugs which ended on October, 31 2012.

Is the "warranty extension" they are referring to a service campaign to replace the original glow plugs with sheathed (non-fragile) NGK plugs, or is it a reference to the "recall of the recall" where they swapped steel plugs previously installed as part of the glow plug recall with the NGKs ?

I've asked them about this but it's like drawing blood from a stone.

I'm hesitant to take one of the plugs out to check the part number because I'm worried about breaking the tip off if indeed it is a "fragile" original.