Possible MAF problem?

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by oldval225, Jul 4, 2017.

1. oldval225

oldval225 Member

Car:
    Golf 2008 1.9 tdi
    Hi all,
    Haven't posted for quite some time, but recently been having a few issues with the normally reliable Golf 1.9 tdi.
    For some strange reason, after driving for a while, all of a sudden there's a loss of power almost as if there's a fuel blockage or bad filter (air or fuel).
    The first time this happened, I changed the fuel filter and it seemed to rectify the problem - however within less than 100 kms, the same situation occurred - loss of power, maximum fuel delivery of 7 Lt/100km, battling to do the speed limit and having to change-down for hills. I can pull over, shut the motor down, wait a couple of minutes and sometimes it comes 'good', yet the same symptoms will re-occur shorty afterwards or the following day....
    So I read that possibly I've over-oiled the K & N filter, contaminating the MAF sensor. I removed this and gave it a spray with CRC Contact Cleaner, reassembled and it drove fine for two days...
    I noticed when the MAF sensor was removed there were two little copper contacts on one side and an 'image' of what appears to be a small wire and diode or resistor (on the plastic of the sensor), however there is no such culprit there - is it internal (the sensor wire), is there actually one supposed to be there and / or has it been consumed by the motor????
    Anyone who has had any experience with this little bugger and can shed some light?
    Cheers in advance.
    2008 Golf 1.9 tdi with 90,000 kms

2. ncsteinb

ncsteinb New Member

Car:
    2006 BRM Jetta Manual, 2002 ALH Jetta Manual, 1997 318ti w/turbo 6cyl (M50) swap
    Mods:
    Koni Yellow adjustable dampers, H&R Sport Springs, ECS Tuning Dogbone insert, ECS Single Mass Flywheel (both), EGR delete (both), Malone tune (both), BMW-> All of the mods!
    MAFs are finicky. In my experience, they either work, or don't, if there's something seriously wrong with them.

Is your car throwing a code? Do you have VCDS? If so, use that and do a scan to see if there is an intermittent issue, which may not throw a constant MIL. If you don't there are people around that will scan your car for free or let you borrow it. I would slap in a cheap air filter to start with, clean the MAF with the proper cleaner, and see if it goes away. If it does, you know it's oil contamination. If not, then you may want to replace the MAF, but I wouldn't buy anything yet until you get your car scanned for saved codes.

Cheers

3. oldval225

oldval225 Member

Car:
    Golf 2008 1.9 tdi
    Many thanks for the reply and advice.
    I've removed and cleaned the MAF, replaced the K&N filter with a paper element and all seemed to be okay until last night, when the 'limp' mode (max 2000 rpm) resumed....
    Sadly, I don't reside in an area blessed with many VW enthusiasts or have a friend with a scanner. I've ordered a replacement MAF sensor and hope that remedies the problem. The only other thing I can think it may be, is the throttle position sensor... What say you?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2017