P2002 Diesel Particulate Filter Efficiency Below Threshold B1

Discussion in '2014+ Chevy Cruze diesel forum and club' started by MRO1791, Oct 2, 2015.

1. MRO1791

MRO1791 Member

Car:
    2015 Chevy Cruze TD (x2), 2009 Ram - Cummins P/U, Prior -VW, 2012 Jetta TDI-> traded for Cruze TD
    Mods:
    none, yet.
    Well, less than 400 miles on the car, and one week... and CEL on. OnStar says the car reports P2002 (but they don't clearly specify what that is, other then powertrain/emissions). A simple online search shows the title, DPF.. hard to imagine a DPF failure this soon.. perhaps a sensor. The dealership has the car now, I will post follow ups as I get them.

Most likely not related.. seems I get a puddle under the car.. suspect DEF leak, because it appears as water, but does not dry up like other water puddles from condensation from other cars.. Have the dealer looking at that too while its there.

Hoping for an easy fix here..

Anyone else have similar issues from new?

2. MRO1791

MRO1791 Member

Car:
    2015 Chevy Cruze TD (x2), 2009 Ram - Cummins P/U, Prior -VW, 2012 Jetta TDI-> traded for Cruze TD
    Mods:
    none, yet.
    Dealership says it is a bad DPF, @less than 400 miles?!? They have to order a new DPF coming in from Michigan, and it will take nearly a week?! Not a good start for a new car experience.

How does a DPF fail in one week, and 397 miles? Perplexed at that one, anyone have an idea out there?

3. MRO1791

MRO1791 Member

Car:
    Mods:
    none, yet.
    It's a $1200 part, they were able to get black smoke at full throttle.. Guess that confirms bad DPF. Must have been an issue from factory. At least I'll get a loaner, I asked for the Corvette in the showroom.. They laughed at me...

4. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I think it's just a random bad part failure. It happens and it's under warranty.

Also, if the fluid leak dries into white crystals, you know it's DEF. If it doesn't it's condensation from a leak.

MRO1791 likes this.
  5. MRO1791

MRO1791 Member

Car:
    Mods:
    none, yet.
    So GM provides a rental car via Enterprise while mine is waiting on the DPF.. the car is a gasser 2015 Cruze with the 1.4 liter engine.. The contrast to the Diesel if stark.. the gasser engine has to scream at high RPM under moderate acceleration, or going uphill, the steering so way too sensitive, apparently the Diesel has some kind of speed adaptive steering the gasser does not have.

But, it does have the donut spare tire! So there it that I guess... It is getting about 33MPG hwy, not horrible, but my '96 Saturn still beat that with nearly 200K..

Dealer service tech said they did not find any DEF leak, so that is good to hear.

6. MRO1791

MRO1791 Member

Car:
    Mods:
    none, yet.
    Yesterday was going to be the day.. but last gasket part received late.. so today is supposed to be the day.. more to follow, hoping for a final and permanent fix, if not they just burned about 25% of the maximum time allotted before the lemon law kicks in, sadly I know these rules/limits all too well.. for some reason I appear to be a magnet for car issues!!

Also, since last fill up the gasser is only averaging 28MPG, where the Diesel with similar driving patterns was near just under 40MPG, so that speaks for itself.

7. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    VAG Error Code: 18434/008194/5182

EOBD II Error Code: P2002

Fault Location:
    Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), Bank 1 - Malfunction/Efficiency Below Threshold

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensor 1 (G450) faulty.
    Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Replace Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensor 1 (G450).
    Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF).
    Perform Emergency Regeneration (Refer to Specifications!).
    Check/Replace Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF).

Special Notes:
    Skoda Superb (3U) & VW Passat (3B) (Engine Codes: BGW, BSS, BWW) had issues with faulty Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensor 1 (G450), they were defective from factory and due to a leaking sealing the measured values were incorrect and resulted in wrong calculated particle filter load and unsuccessful regeneration cycles.
    With CBEA and CJAA engines, the factory documentation may show the wrong part location for the Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensor 1 (G450). This sensor is in a foil pouch just behind the oil cap.

Technical Background:
    Exchange cylinder head with incorrect shaped camshaft for follow-up injection fitted.
    Because of an unfavourable driving style, the temperatures needed for a regeneration in the particle filter are not reached.

Production Change:
    Optimised software for the engine control unit.
    Check in the repair history whether an exchange cylinder with the part number 03G 103 264JX has been fitted.
    If this is the case, read the production date on the cylinder head.

As taken from my Free EOBD II Error Codes software

MRO1791 likes this.
  8. MRO1791

MRO1791 Member

Car:
    Mods:
    none, yet.
    Thanks for that code read, seems same for GM as well. They said bad DPF was confirmed by tailpipe soot at full throttle.
    Got the car back Friday, put over 100 mile on it, seems fine so far. Hopefully that will be the end of for a long time at least.

9. MRO1791

MRO1791 Member

Car:
    Mods:
    none, yet.
    Well, now over 1200 miles, 800 or so on new DPF.. all seems well. Best 50 mile average MPG was 57.2, and lifetime average is now 43. Got what I'm sure was first regen on the new DPF on last long highway drive (drop in MPG was from normal above 50 to 35-40 during regen).. No return of the P2002 code!! So hoping all is well for a long time.

MartinC likes this.
  10. MRO1791

MRO1791 Member

Car:
    Mods:
    none, yet.
    Update, just shy of 20,000 miles. DPF is doing fine. It has had one NOx sensor replaced, and the O2 Sensor. The odd one is the ECU, replaced, but car was running fine with P0133 (O2 sensor) code. Apparently the car had B101D code (ECU hardware performance). I guess it is good it has the capability to sense a ECU on the way out before it dies, but still that is low miles for an ECU. Car has a best 50 mile at 59 MPG and lifetime average of 41 and slowly going up. Still think it is a great car even with the warranty repairs to date. One loaner car was a 2016 Transverse, the extra room was nice, it drove nice, but at about 19MPG at best... over the last nearly 20K that car would have cost an extra $2500 in fuel, not to mention extra for the vehicle itself, not far from twice the cost of the Cruze, and the Cruze actually has several additional features (pretty much fully loaded).

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  11. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    I've never heard of B200D and neither has google it

12. MRO1791

MRO1791 Member

Car:
    Mods:
    none, yet.
    My mistake, it was
    B101D

13. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    VAG Error Code: 9444629

EOBD II Error Code: B101D

Fault Location:
    Safety Belt Switch: Passenger Side - Open Circuit or Short Circuit to Positive

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Wiring/Connector(s).

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
    Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).

As taken from my new Free EOBD II Error Codes software

14. MRO1791

MRO1791 Member

Car:
    Mods:
    none, yet.
    That is VW. Under GM it says ECU Hardware Performance. The PSS or Radio of all things apparently can monitor the ECU. I found a GM example:
    http://workshop-manuals.com/vauxhal...a_communications/other_information/dtc_b101d/

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

15. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Ok go with what that GM link says?

EOBD II codes are supposed to be universal on all manufacturers, I've proved many times they aren't.