Origin Tale of my 2005 Passat Wagon and I/Trans Problems

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by Pump Doozy, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Pump Doozy

Pump Doozy New Member

Car:
    2005 Passat GL Wagon TDI
    I guess I'd consider this an intro as it's my first post on these forums, though I've been using the vast amount of knowledge for months. Hello. This is going to be a catalog/journey about my time with my 2005 Passat Wagon. I bought the car in June of 2016 due to wanting an easy, comfortable, thrifty commuter/road tripper. Was told it had some recent work done to it: BSM delete, new TCM, other little stuff here and there and as I had researched it, all seemed well. I called the shop that did it to verify work, everything checked out (except for the BSM delete lie; issue for another time), and I was stoked. First month I notice "wow this thing has some crazy shakes" and passed it off as a diesel characteristic and learned to live with it, especially considering that the motor mounts were new. A good lesson here is have everything on paper or it didn't happen. Eventually grew tired of it, did some research and got some used OEM axles to replace chinese knock offs. Voila, but still a little rumbl-y, figure I'd save for Raxles someday.

Time goes by and wham, one day trans enters limp mode after throwing it into reverse. Cry because I imagine the TCM has failed, or ya know, worse. Turns out the neutral safety switch had failed due to exposure to the elements. No belly pan to protect it (which has since been rectified by a nice powdercoated Diesel Geek belly pan) so a replacement switch goes in. No voila this time. No limp mode, but hmm something is still not right. Not awful but strange. I drive for a few more weeks with a car that as I learned has a dying torque converter. My prior vehicle was manual and I'd never experienced any type of auto transmission failure so unfortunately I didn't catch it too soon. Eventually I get the bad clutch circuit code (can't remember #) and figure my converter is smoked. Yank the engine/trans combo out of the car's mouth, send off the TC to IPT in New Jersey and hope for the best. I figure I'll do a timing belt since the engine is out and it would be easiest to access. Also I'd try to find that unusual noise coming from the engine that I also passed off as a diesel trait. Of course I knew about the BSM and had heard the Youtube videos comparing, but of course mine was different! I had to know for sure so I popped off the pan and lo and behold, a quasi failing Balance Shaft Module, with flecks of chain guide missing and all. I'm less than amused and order a BSM delete with BRM pulley and all that. Of course I reach out to the PO as well.

I get my new pump installed, clean the engine to get it ready for the car, all is going pretty good. TC comes in, painted black, looks good. Super stoked to put it all together as 2 months had passed due to life getting in the way. I still had my 40 year old BMW to commute in, when it would start... So yeah, everything gets buttoned up, new VW trans fluid (WOAH$$$$) all liquids replaced/replenished. The first crank is exciting, I primed the pump with oil before putting the pan back on so all I had to do before starting was undo the PD injector connector and let the starter get the oil movin'. A minute of that and I reconnect the injectors. First bump of the key and it fires up. Wow, that's what this thing is supposed to sound like? It's infinitely more pleasant to listen to. I lower the car and go for a test drive, immediately I notice two things. TC is locking up, but not in the way I imagined, oh and also the radiator blew a leak and I lose a gallon of coolant in a mile. A week later the new radiator is in and I go to test the car out again, sure enough something is awry with the transmission. It doesn't lock up whatsoever in first, and second gear, pretty much falling to idle immediately off throttle. Shifts fine, maybe a small amount of flare between shifts every once in a while. It'll lock up in third, fourth, and fifth but sometimes I feel a slight shudder. I contact IPT and they say it could be the valve body or another related mechanism failing. I groan and look at maps of entering the valve body.

I did the VAGCOM output test to test the solenoids and heard them all click, I guess that's good, but read that the pistons and cylinders can get worn. In my head I suspect this has happened and my new super strong TC is making this issue more prominent. At this point I'm about to concede and order a remanufactured/rebuilt unit and see what that does. Or just order a 5 speed from that Frans gentleman. Anyways, hello again, glad there's a bunch of information here and am wondering if anyone has any insight into this? Any pointers as to where I should be looking now would be super appreciated!

2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Welcome to VW ownership......BMW ownership isn't much better!

3. Ted Tolentino

Ted Tolentino New Member

Car:
    Jetta, TDI, 2002; Passat, v-6, 2002
    Greetings to all. I have been following this forum for a while and appreciate all the information I have gained about Passats, in general, and the TDI, more specifically. I especially like the clarity of explanation that chittychittybangbang provides with his excellent videos and write ups. Here is my project : I had recently purchased a BHW engine and automatic transmission from a 2004 Passat from our local pull-a-part salvage yard, a rare find. I don't know its history (as is the typical case with all the vehicles that this particular yard purchases). However, the only thing I did find before pulling it was a very oily covered engine block and a decent looking cam after pulling off the valve cover. Otherwise, everything looked intact on this engine. I have not pulled the oil pan nor the valve head yet to inspect the condition of the internal parts, but if bottom end and the valve train appear okay I plan to do a timing belt change and "fix" the balance module. I would like to invest the least I can to do this maintenance work. I'll replace all gaskets, tubes, O-rings, clamps and sensors, et cetera with new replacements. So my question is: if I replace the oil pump, hex shaft, the sprockets, chain and chain tensioner on the balance shaft module, can I expect at least another 50k miles out of this engine? Has VOA provided any upgrades to these components over the OEM parts other than the gear-drive balance module (at a cost, I have heard, of about 1200.00 dollars)? I would do the balance shaft module delete but I would hate the increased, albeit small, vibration from the engine. When done, I will swap this engine and trans into a 2002 GLX wagon, presently with the v-6 and AT. Thanks to all for your advice.

4. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I don't see why you can't expect another 50k miles at least.