Oil in coolant? Has to be head gasket?

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by Jchiodi, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Jchiodi

Jchiodi Member

Car:
    Jetta 2001tdi
    Mods:
    None
    just bought an 06. Has oil sitting on top of coolant in resivior. Not milky, pure oil. No sign of milkshake look.
    No sign of water in the engine. Is there another answer than head gasket. Any other way for that to happen?

177k on motor, no background on PO, as i bought at auction.

Thx for any help on this. Btw, the car does look loke it has been sitting for a few months , not sure if that means anything.

2. FSenecal

FSenecal New Member

Car:
    VW Beetle 2000
    Very rare to have a head gasket cause this, I would think more the oil cooler.

3. terpsgeorgia

terpsgeorgia New Member

Car:
    06 Jetta TDI
    When I buy used vehicles, including at auctions, the very first thing I do is replace all the fluids to baseline the car so I can start figuring out what is wrong with it.. Your issues could be something stupid like a moron pouring the oil in the wrong place. That would be my first step and then see where that leads you.

MRO1791 likes this.
  4. Jchiodi

Jchiodi Member

Car:
    Jetta 2001tdi
    Mods:
    None
    Thx, that was my thinking. Just took a chance and drove er home. no major issues like overheating, but turbo doesn't seem to spool, and the manual tranny is very hard to shift. I will be working on this in a few days....

It has nearly a perfect body, interior, leather, no rips or tears, no headliner sag, and an OEM navigation system. nice car!
    now for the 05 1.8L Audi A4 in my garage!
    that WAS a head gasket,lol. no question just got all the parts and am putting it back together..

5. terpsgeorgia

terpsgeorgia New Member

Car:
    06 Jetta TDI
    I had a twin turbo a6 I bought years ago from a buddy of mine who owned a used car lot, it needed some work so I got it really cheap. What a nightmare. I feel for you! Torque converter, turbo, most of the accessories, leaking oil. I hated that car, passionately. Plus my wife got like 15 mpg in that thing cause she enjoyed stomping on the gas so much. I got so tired of taking the front bumper off that darn car!

Anyway, I digress. Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  6. Jchiodi

Jchiodi Member

Car:
    Jetta 2001tdi
    Mods:
    None
    Terp- I do hate the car. Doing the work for a local lot, their mechanics are smarter than I!