Official: VW will no longer sell diesels in the US

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by chittychittybangbang, Nov 23, 2016.

1. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Volkswagen CEO Herbert Diess announced today that they were giving up on diesel in the US and switching over to electric vehicles. They were going to use them in their SUV and commercial vehicles and pickups, but these will only have gas engines. The Audi A4 TDI is cancelled (The Audi A6 TDI was sold here but I've never seen on in person). The only exception is the Audi Q7 TDI. The Q7 may still see a diesel engine in the US.

After the dieselgate settlements, this will bring the TDI market in the US and Canada mostly to a niche. This is a stunning turn-around from what was once 1/4 of their sales.

I don't have much interest in VW's non-TDI cars but I do like their work on EV. I founded the website www.evwaudi.com for VAG group electric vehicles a few years ago, but it's been pretty quiet as sales have been slow. Please visit it if you would like to continue seeing a VAG specific electric car forum!

On the bright side, the Chevy Cruze turbodiesel is still being sold here (it's a good car) and Mazda may still sell the CX-5 with a diesel engine. The Mazda 6 diesel was cancelled due to not meeting emissions targets...

login to remove this ad
  2. erikwi

erikwi Member

Car:
    2005 Jetta mk5 TDI
    Mods:
    DG Sigma5 shift kit, Malone Stage 1 tune, EGR delete, race pipe, more to come!
    Well crap! I was hoping to buy a GTD at some point when it came out. Wonder if this decision will push up the value of TDIs?

3. mu2bdriver

mu2bdriver Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    Stock
    That's a shame. If it weren't for the tdi's I wouldn't have any interest in vw's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. 86td

86td New Member

Car:
    '10 Jetta TDI Sedan M6; '09 JSW SEL M6; '02 Golf GLS TDI M5; '86 Jetta GL TD M5
    This decision is the ultimate slap in the face to North American customers. There is no question that for at least the next couple of model years (until new emissions regulations kick in c.2020), VW could engineer and certify a compliant diesel for sale here. The 2015's were 70-80% there, and other manufacturers have done it with comparable economy and perfomance.

VW has built a loyal diesel following over two decades. I would venture to say at least half of the current owners (including myself) would turn around and buy a fully compliant diesel with their buyback, or get theirs fixed--if a fix was available (I expect VW to fail on that shortly and settle for full buybacks). By pulling out of the diesel market VW is admitting not just corporate failure, but is demonstrating complete disregard for its customers. It's a veritable screw you America, because we (VW) didn't WANT to play by the rules--even though everyone else was able to. So now the customers are kicked to the curb. I guess throwing customers out of the moving car is OK as long as their pockets are full of buy-back cash.

How stupid is that. Do they really think that these people will turn around and buy another VW? The half that don't care about diesels in particular won't, because it was just the diesel that attracted them. An eco-minded curiosity, if you will. Japanese hybrids, here they come. Among the diesel loyalists, I would venture to guess a good portion won't buy a gas VW with their buyback cash. Chevy will gain customers. Mazda too if the CX-5 really does make it here with a diesel (keep breathing). Me? Even though I claim to be a VW loyalist (only VW/Audi products in my garage and carports for the past 40 years), VW's gas models don't have the appeal they once had. Virtually no MTs (I'm not a GTI guy), and when you do find one it's a stripper. The 2017 Wolfsburg Golf with a M5 is promising, but I'd really like a nicely equipped MT Golf Sportwagen. Not to be had in the US of A with VW's dumber-than-dirt US product planners.

So, I keep what I have, and in a few years convert to 'antique-vehicle' license plates. Heck, by then my 2002 Golf GLS TDI M5 will be worth more than I paid for it in May of 2002.

5. maintainer

maintainer New Member

Car:
    '14 jetta/'06jetta
    I'm in this class too! With out a diesel option, not sure I'd buy a VW gas burner.

mu2bdriver and MRO1791 like this.
  6. MRO1791

MRO1791 Member

Car:
    2015 Chevy Cruze TD (x2), 2009 Ram - Cummins P/U, Prior -VW, 2012 Jetta TDI-> traded for Cruze TD
    Mods:
    none, yet.
    I think there was a deal cut with the regulators, there is a serious anti ICE (internal combustion engine) movement going, and VW appeasing that crowd to avoid what could have been extreme fines. I have 2 Cruze TDs, they are good cars. It is possible to make a complaint car, it's too bad VW took another path.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

7. maintainer

maintainer New Member

Car:
    '14 jetta/'06jetta
    I'm thinking your absolutely right MRO1791! Keep us up to speed on your diesel cruz's, on any issues that come up. I have spent countless hours educating my self on the vw tdi's, so that I can do my own repairs, a big thank you to this wonderful web site!! I just hope other diesel manufactures are able to hang in there, such as the cruz as well as others to continue on. There's a good chance that they too will have to scrap the idea of having a diesel powered car as well here in the USA, as the EPA keeps throwing more rules & regulations at them. I will consider a cruz, when my '06 jetta needs replaced. My '14 jetta I'll be selling back, as I no longer have a need for two cars. As far as the people planning on keeping their cars, I would be aware of what some of the replacement parts could end up being priced at in the end of things, it could go either way being stupid expensive or just expensive. Just hope they can come up with a fix to at least keep those around vs. either being scraped or shipped out of the country, that in it's self will effect the cost of replacement parts I would think.

MRO1791 likes this.
  8. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
  9. DUTCH VanAtlanta

DUTCH VanAtlanta Member

Car:
    2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige, 2000 Mercedes-Benz G500 NMLE
    Mercedes-Benz is also cutting back diesels in the US. See this article from Auitomotive News:

10. MRO1791

MRO1791 Member

Car:
    2015 Chevy Cruze TD (x2), 2009 Ram - Cummins P/U, Prior -VW, 2012 Jetta TDI-> traded for Cruze TD
    Mods:
    none, yet.
    One other factor is current low oil prices, the Mercedes path when mentioning their cutting back on the smaller cars for US Diesels would fit in with that, as well as GM filling that limited market with Equinox Diesel and the next Cruze Diesel, they have an even higher priced car that would have to compete in a limited market.

11. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    wonder how the value of the good vw diesels (pre bew/2004) will be effected...

12. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I think that the older cars have stabilized in price. They aren't depreciating and any appreciation will be a small percentage of their overall value. So if you like the cars, hold on to them but don't expect them to have a price bubble like in 2007-2008.

I like the VW Golf R and Audi S3 (same basic car). Other than that, I can't see myself in another VW at this time.

A family member sold their Prius pukemobile and got an Acura TLX. It's the luxury version of the Honda Accord and gets high 20s/low 30s with good engine response out of their 4 cyl because of the 8 speed transmission. No options and was just over $30k. I always liked Honda and like the car but it's a bit big for me.

I had the last Chevy Volt and loved it. The new one is even better but even after tax credits it's still relatively expensive, especially considering how low gas prices are right now. And as others mentioned, the Chevy Cruze Diesel is the only game in town now!

MRO1791 likes this.
  13. frodoz737

frodoz737 Member

Car:
    2015 Prius Four, 2014 Corolla S, 2010 Prius II
    Mods:
    n/a
    The only reason I bought a VW was the TDI with lower fuel prices and good mpg. My engine was good (after the EGR delete), but the rest of the vehicle was crap...and all other owners I know with TDIs and gassers say/said the same. Once the worlds largest...they blew it. As for their alternative EV's: How's the saying go...screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me. Never more. In fact one of my Nephews told me during Thanksgiving he bought a 2012 Beetle gasser and I told him what was up. Found out from my Son he traded it in for a Rav4 2 days ago.

Thanks again CCBB and all the "friendlies" on this site when I needed help with my POS. Clear all actives. Aircraft Mechanic out.

14. erikwi

erikwi Member

Car:
    2005 Jetta mk5 TDI
    Mods:
    DG Sigma5 shift kit, Malone Stage 1 tune, EGR delete, race pipe, more to come!
    I'm still holding out hope that the 2015 TDIs will eventually be put back on the market. At least that's what the dealer told me when I went by there to pick up some copper drain plug washers (they were free) the other day. They still have a lot of 2015s sitting in storage, waiting for the fix. If it ever comes....

I wouldn't mind having another GTI (be my 4th) but I'm driving 400 miles a week now and I care more about MPG right now. Diesel gives me the best of both worlds, power and halfway decent handling. You just can't beat 44 mpg while running up and down the highway at 70mph. Sure was looking forward to the GTD coming to this side of the pond.....

147k miles and still going strong. Except for the slipping clutch.......side effect of more power!

15. Plano Diesel

Plano Diesel New Member

Car:
    Jetta 09
    I have really enjoyed the ability to work on my 2009 TDIs with the help of VCDS software and enthusiastic forums like this one. Assuming I sell my '09 TDIs back to VW, I'm trying to think of an alternative vehicle that has similar support, forums, and fans. What other cars come the closest in this regard? I'm thinking the Tesla Model 3 could be such a car ... when it gets here.

16. MRO1791

MRO1791 Member

Car:
    Mods:
    none, yet.
    Chevy Cruze Diesel. Over on Cruze talk there are active forums and how to guides, specific to the Diesel. Only 2014 2015 for now. I have 2 of them. It's a great car. 2018 GM is going to have a new 1.6 L Diesel for Equinox and Cruze. I'm currently helping test an app that has many diagnostic functions with more added all the time, there is more and more tuning options out as well. It's worth looking into, way cheaper than any Tesla, especially if you can get a good deal on a used Cruze as I did on the second car. Good luck hunting.

17. ComplexFiddler

ComplexFiddler New Member

Car:
    2014 Chevrolet Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel