NOx failures. Who has had them?

Discussion in '2012-2016 VW Passat TDI forum' started by Gunther, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL
    My 2013 TDI with 33,745 miles had a NOx failure. It cost $1034.92 at VW Alexandria to get it fixed. A friend who also has a 2013 also had his fail. Lucky for him his dealership covered it under warranty. This seems like a very common failure. Anyone have any luck getting VW North America reimburse them for this expense? Why is this item not covered by the emissions warranty?

2. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
    '12 Golf TDI sold to VW 2/8/17
    What exactly is a NOx failure? Your car uses SCR (Adblue) to reduce NOx, did your adblue system somehow fail?

3. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL
    The NOx sensor failed. I got a check engine light. the dealer replaced Part # 03L-907-807-AD, NOx sensor. It is part of the adblue system. So in theory yes the adblue system failed. Not sure I understand what your question is??

4. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
    '12 Golf TDI sold to VW 2/8/17
    OK; now it makes more sense. You just said a "NOx failure" which doesn't explain what part failed, I was asking for clarification.

$1k for a sensor is insane though... Looks to be about $400-$500 for the sensor AND control unit (the part number you posted)... :eek: The sensor itself is only like $25

1. Why did they tell you this isn't covered under warranty? Your car has a 3 year, 36k mile warranty, are you already beyond the 3 year mark?
    2. Unfortunately, only 3 named parts are covered under the 8/80 federal emissions warranty. Everything else is only 2/24: http://www3.epa.gov/obd/pubs/420f15035.pdf
    3. More info here: https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=409115

Personally, with the low mileage on your car I'd call VW about it. If your bumper to bumper warranty is still in effect, I'd call VW, the dealership, and your local news channel to talk about the scamming dealership...

5. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL
    Past the 36 month warranty. Agreed that the price is crazy. Alexandria VW charged $601.92 for the part alone! I have written VWNA and will post what if anything they say.

Anyone else on this site have this failure? There is a multipage thread on tdiclub site discussing this issue. I just wanted to see what this forum had to say. I see that you are also on the other forum :)

6. Torsten Schmid

Torsten Schmid New Member

Car:
    2012 VW Passat TDI
    My 2012 Passat also had the dreaded Bank 1 Sensor 1 failure. I got two codes on my OBD/CanII reader. The first was P220A - NOx sensor Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 1 Circuit, followed by U1006 - NOx sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 - No communication. I can turn off the MIL light using the reader and drive the car without the light coming on again for the rest of the trip. Once I stop the engine though and restart it, the MIL comes on again. Reading the other posts I know what is involved - the repair appears to be replacing the emission control module and Oxygen sensor attached to it. I have removed the parts to check for corroded contacts on the emission control unit (the electric plug contacts were pristine) as well as the Oxygen sensor (it too was clean with no baked on deposits or plugged holes). The local dealer wants $920 (Canadian) for it plus labour etc. I can get the module/sensor on line for half that.
    I have two questions I hope someone can answer:
    First, can I continue to drive the car without damaging any part of the exhaust system? It seems to me this sensor controls the DEF injection rate to reduce the Nitrous Oxide emissions, which is part of the cheat program designed to only inject DEF as required to meet emission standards when vehicle is stationary AND being tested. Does this imply that no, or minimal DEF is injected when the vehicle is moving???

Second, is it likely this part will be replaced during the recall to make Nitrous Oxide emissions comply with legal levels. I would hate to spend the dollars now, only to see that this is one of the parts they need to replace. VW has been ordered by the US Judge to provide final details of the "FIX" by March 24.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Tor

7. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL
    I can answer question one as I asked the dealer "what if I just don't fix it"? He said nothing but lower performance. But do I really trust the dealer? No!! So I bit the bullet and gave VW my $$$$. I did file a claim with VW to get reimbursed. I'll let everyone know what happens. I understand that the install is fairly easy. TDIclub has a thread on this subject as well.

8. Torsten Schmid

Torsten Schmid New Member

Car:
    2012 VW Passat TDI
    Thank you Gunther,
    My dealer has offered to go 50 -50 with me on bill for repair bringing cost in line with me buying part on line from US stores selling OEM VW parts. Parts.com - $364.32, VW PartsNation - $380.16 and several more. The service manager says they have done a lot of these. We are waiting for the updated, read, hopefully longer lasting part 03L 907 807 -AD.
    Regarding the question I asked about what happens if we continue to drive it without repair. The car answered that one. The Engine Management Computer realized that no DEF was being injected into the Nitrous Oxide Converter and therefore, assuming that the DEF tank is getting empty, is giving the command on the center display to fill DEF tank before a set number of Kilometres. Right now the car will be unable to be started in 350 km.
    It is really easy to replace the part. It took 30 minutes to put passenger side of car on jack stands, undo the five plastic nuts on the closest to exhaust edge of long protective plastic underbody cover. The control module is located roughly under where front passenger seat is between bottom of car and plastic underbody cover. Pull down this cover and use a 10mm socket to undo the two plastic nuts on the end tabs of the controller. Now unclip the electric plug at front of controller module, do not try to unplug shielded wires going to NOx sensor from rear of controller - they don't unplug, then using an open socket wrench, unscrew the NOx sensor. If unsure where it is, follow the wire harness from back of module to it. It is the rearmost sensor, pointing upwards, about three to four inches behind the Exhaust Flap Valve. I used a short pipe over the end of a crescent wrench for better leverage. No problem undoing it. When installing the new part, install the sensor before you attach the controller module. You will want to keep rotating the control module to keep turning the shielded wires from the NOx sensor so you don't 'wind up' the wires as you screw the sensor into the exhaust. Then attach the wire harness plug to front of module, attach module to car, route wire cable from module to sensor into obviously placed hold down clips, reattach the underbody cover and you are done.
    For peace of mind, an honest dealership or repair facility should charge no more than 1/2 hour labour.

Tor

Tanglewood likes this.
  9. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL
    UPDATE:
    I wrote to VW America complaining about this known defect and the different treatment by the dealers and to my surprise they have tentatively agreed to repay me. [​IMG] I will keep you posted when and if I get a check.

I recommend everyone who gets one of these to complain to VW about their poor design.

Tor thanks for your DIY!

Zaviertdi likes this.
  10. lincolnvw

lincolnvw New Member

Car:
    2014 passat sel tdi
    Yes, I have a 2014 Passat tdi and had same problem. Car has less than 20000 miles, was covered by warranty.

Zaviertdi likes this.
  11. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL
    UPDATE:
    I deposited the check! [​IMG] I'm happy the VW refunded me the full amount of the NOx repair. Just so everyone knows I wrote VW on the VW North America web site. This is page: http://www.vw.com/contact/ They asked for a copy of the repair order, proof of payment, and how long I have owned the car. Best of luck to everyone who gets this failure.

12. Zaviertdi

Zaviertdi New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat SEL TDI
    Thankful you got it fixed with VW helping as they should. They are now the best customer service to call and we all know the sad reason why they are now more willing than usual.

13. danbl68

danbl68 Member

Car:
    2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL
    what did you say in the email? In the live chat this is the convo: I asked exactly like you and this is the response that I got back...
    Bree F said:

Being that the investigation is still not finalized, we are unsure of which components are included with the current emissions issue so this is not likely something that we can reimburse for at this time.

Bree F said:

However, I do highly suggest holding on to all receipts and repair orders for this repair and once the fix is announced, if determined that this component is apart of the emissions issue, you can submit for reimbursement at that time.

Bree F said:

And in regards to prices at the dealer. I apologize for any confusion but Volkswagen dealers operate under their own policies and procedures. They are like a franchise. Our dealerships are affiliated and associated with VW but they are empowered to make their own decisions as a business.
    What we can do, if you can please provide me with your VIN, mailing address, first and last name, telephone number and email, I will start a case for you documenting your concerns and what you are seeking.

14. NeverAgain-RIP-P-Shot

NeverAgain-RIP-P-Shot New Member

Car:
    VW Passat TDI 2012
    So my husband and I got the countdown of death the other night. This is a 2012 TDI Passat with 113,000 on her. She has been an amazing car until they started doing "software updates" and such. We've been ripping through Adblue so fast that we thought they were forgetting to fill the tank at the dealership when we brought it in for services. Yeah, not so much...

On his way home from work, my husband got a 200 mile warning for Adblue. Odd... we never got the one at either 1200 or 1500 whichever it is... NBD though, he planned to get some right after dinner. Well a few miles later he got a CEL too. When he went to AutoZone for DEF the guy ran the codes and it was pretty obvious that we were going to fall into the NOx sensor issue. However, the Adblue didn't reset after we filled it. Very strange.

The next morning, Adblue light and CEL stayed on and car decided to go into reduced power mode. We had the car towed to the dealership using the Goodwill Package Towing and awaited results. They advised us that we required a NOx sensor and that it would cost $790 after our military discount...ouch. But whatever, we said get it running and we're holding our breath for some buyback news.

I have to add that the tow truck driver advised me he had towed many many broken VW's to the same dealership this week and to stand our ground because we weren't alone.

Fast forward a few days, they replaced the sensor, however the Adblue countdown continued. She's nearly out of miles and almost at lockout. The dealership advised us to put no more money into this car. They have no idea why she's not resetting and just short of replacing the exhaust system, I'm not sure we're going to find out. They're pulling the new sensor and advised us to come get the car until the buy back or repair offer is made in June.

Thank goodness my father-in-law has a loaner car for us, we're still making payments on this car and had planned to drive it till the doors fell off...VW was supposed to be a reliable name which is why we paid the premium for the diesel car and the ridiculously expensive services it has needed.

Zaviertdi likes this.
  15. Zaviertdi

Zaviertdi New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat SEL TDI
    Our DEF and transmission failed prematurely[2012 SEL with 80+] and they were not willing to help before the scandal, yet now they are super friendly.
    Only good thing is thankfully to God in heaven we were able to sell it to the dealer and get into a 2015 SE tdi days before the scandal, averaging 57 with near 16000

16. shaunb

shaunb New Member

Car:
    VW 2013 Passat TDI SE
    Same problem at about 100k, drove it another 7k and finally had it replaced for $695.20 total. VW did nothing when I complained, I am going to try again after reading this post,

Zaviertdi likes this.
  17. cerisecons

cerisecons Member

Car:
    2013 VW Passat TDI SE
    2013 Passat. Just got the car back after the NOX sensor and ad blue heater failure codes... 52000 miles, thankfully I bought the extended warranty, which covered it, and the $100 deductible covered by the $500 service card...
    I'll probably take the buyback, I wasn't going to if the option was available, but this type of failure doesn't fit into my future plans, loved the car though....

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Zaviertdi likes this.
  18. mosahe2

mosahe2 New Member

Car:
    2000 vw

19. mosahe2

mosahe2 New Member

Car:
    2000 vw

20. mosahe2

mosahe2 New Member

Car:
    2000 vw
    Hi,do you need a vcds for adaptation? After changing the nox sensor.
    Thx.
    Please let me know.