Newby from Twisp WA

Discussion in 'New TDI forum member introductions' started by Ed Welch, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Ed Welch

Ed Welch New Member

Car:
    VW Passat Wagon TDI 2005
    Hello, I am the original owner with my wife of a 2005 Passat Wagon TDI with 235K. I love the car and just replaced the timing belt but did not replace the chain drive that people are mentioning. I recently started having trouble with the transmission. First about 3 weeks ago the reverse stopped working and now the forward drive is slipping which it did not do until today. I have only used it to make a few trips to town since the reverse quit working. There is no dealership nearby, and the nearest tranny shop is about 100 miles away in Wenatchee. Would it be useful to get it to Wenatchee to check for codes or should I assume that I need to replace the tranny. I can find someone locally to replace the tranny.

2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    welcometomyturbodies

That year can have a 1.9 or 2.0 TDI which one is in your? You can add that to your car spec? ;)

It sounds like you have a 6 speed DSG.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing.

I'm told that AutoZone will do a free scan in the hope you buy something of them.

3. Ed Welch

Ed Welch New Member

Car:
    VW Passat Wagon TDI 2005
    Thank you. I will try to get a scan done with a local mechanic, and I will check through the owners manual to see if it will say which transmisssion I have.

4. Dave N

Dave N Member

Car:
    06 Golf TDI BEW 09A
    If it was me I would call the shop in Wenatchee and and see if they are set up to check VCDS otherwise your nearest dealers are gonna be in Spokane or Kelowna. Looks like the Methow is gonna get hit with snow next weekend so you might want to jump on that soon.