Newbie, and unsure of what car I officially own.

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by jimbokid, Nov 29, 2017.

1. jimbokid

jimbokid New Member

Car:
    2006 jetta tdi gls
    Hi everyone, I'm a happy owner of a 2006 jetta tdi gls wagon. Well that's what the ownership says. First off, I'm absolutely wowed by the fuel economy of this vehicle. I live in Ontario Canada, so you will have to forgive me, but I average between 18.5-19.5 kms /litre. Works out to about 45 miles/us gallon, I believe. Just awesome. I bought the car in an auction, and aside from a few minor issues, its performed great. Can't say I'm a fan of VW (the company) but the car is awesome. I'm no stranger to diesels, I own a 2004 Ford f250 6.0, my most recent project with that one was replacing head gaskets. I'm not a mechanic by any means, I buy the shop manuals and go from there. There is enormous info out there, so far it seems more for the ford than VW.

This week I'm changing the timing belt, water pump on the jetta. Which brings me to my puzzelment of what kind of car do I own. Most parts I've purchased for the vehicle have been 2005, golf seems to be a good fit. When I google my vehicle, 06 tdi gls wagon, they don't seem to make them. I've gone on a VW site to breakdown my vin, jetta doesn't come up. Though that varies. Oil filter, bearings, 05 for sure. Car was manufactured in june 06. I believe the clutch kit I bought from rockauto was an 05 sachs (?). I was glad that the 05 and 06 timing belt kits were the same for both years. I've watched some mark 4 vids, yup my car, but those engines were 1.8's. I've watched some mark 5 vids, nope not my car, but they were 1.9s. So I'm thinking what I have is a mk 4 with a 1.9. Is that possible?

I've started to remove the requisite parts to get at timing belt, but got stymied by the crankpully bolts, 12 point female (well three are, someone swapped out one of them for a regular hex head.) Now I've looked up the type of engine I'm supposed to have Bew or BRm, given the odd things, I'm not sure. Its all fun. I've ordered a 12 point set, so I should be back in business in a few days. Can't wait to see what I find when I pull off the belt cover. Later folks.

2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

If appears if you google it it shows the spec of a 2006 Jetta Wagon on a Canadian site.

http://www.autotrader.ca/research/volkswagen/jetta wagon/2006/

I know they fitted 2 engines to the 2006 Jetta, a 1.9 TDI-PD and 2.0 TDI-PD which one is in yours?

If you don't know look at the engine code on the data sticker. Data Sticker/Options Sticker and Engine Codes

You can post the engine code when you know it.

Any problems doing the timing belt search TDI Wiki, DIY and FAQ.

3. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    North American 2006 TDI Jetta Wagons had a MkIV chassis and the BEW engines. Essentially the same as a 2004-5 Jetta Wagon...

I'm not too far away, if you ever need access to a VCDS scan...

Yuri

4. jimbokid

jimbokid New Member

Car:
    2006 jetta tdi gls
    I finally got back to the Car, followed Keith's where to look instructions, and its a BEW engine. So Keith and Yuri, thanks. BTW, when ordering parts, I usually go to rockauto in states, should I be going for the 05 1.9? I just know that when I went to replace my front wheel bearing, the 06 shows the type that bolts in, where as mine is the kind you press in. It really is a pain trying to figure this stuff out especially when I buy everything online.

5. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 07/2003-01/2005, Model: Jetta, Engine Code: BEW, 74Kw, 100PS, 1.9 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: USA ("USA"): Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI)

I don't know how US parts places work but in the UK you can give them the registration plate number to find parts for that vehicle.

6. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    I get many of my parts from roselandtech.ca ... idparts in the U.S. is very good as well...

Yuri