New member from Oklahoma

Discussion in 'New TDI forum member introductions' started by Sin Wagen, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Sin Wagen

Sin Wagen New Member

Car:
    2006 Touareg V10 TDI
    Have VCDS cable also if anyone in the OKC area needs help. I have an 06 Touareg V10 TDI with no major mods except 18" Q7 wheels with Wrangler Silent Armor tires and Yakima roof racks. Do maintenance and repairs myself including brakes, and I have experience troubleshooting the Webasto auxiliary heater system. Have used the info on this site for quite a while especially for the DPF, Tuareg wheels, and nav systems. Thanks!

2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Did you install the webato yourself?

3. Sin Wagen

Sin Wagen New Member

Car:
    2006 Touareg V10 TDI
    No I didn't install it. The ThermoTop C came as standard equipment on all V10 TDIs. VW did this because the engine block is so big on the V10 you can barely get any cabin heat on really cold days without it. Are they available on any other TDI model? Ive heard that they are an option on a few Mercedes models in the US. It is the main reason the V10 also has a second battery under the spare tire. In Europe where parking heaters are much more common the Touareg V10 came with the option for a timer to start it up in the morning, and there is also a remote option. The European versions also came with a valve to bypass the engine block for quicker cabin heat. The US V10s did not come with any remote start options probably because Americans are mostly unfamiliar with them and would let it run inside their garages not knowing they could be poisoned. Mine kicks on when temps are below 40 degF right after I start and warms the cabin much quicker. Webasto recently came out with a module called the Thermocall TC3 which has a SIM card to allow control via an iPhone or Android app. Very cool stuff. I ordered one from Germany and will install it before next winter so I can preheat the cabin. I'm happy to have a Webasto instead of a remote start because it is a much more efficient way of preheating and it also protects the engine from cold starts, contrasted to idling a car on a very cold morning which is bad for the engine.

4. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    webasto wasn't available on any other models in the US. Even the electric coolant wasn't. Has been on canadian models though.

The v10's the only engine I haven't driven or worked on.

5. Sjames73

Sjames73 New Member

Car:
    2006 vw Jetta tdi
    You ever around cushing ok I need someone with vcds to help with my car I just did cam change and timing belt and car will start and die but if given allittle throttle it will start and run just fine but revs up to about 1200 befor it will move in reverse

6. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB