New member from Houston

Discussion in 'New TDI forum member introductions' started by Tim06jetta, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Tim06jetta

Tim06jetta New Member

Car:
    2006 jetta
    I have a 06 Jetta 1.9 tdi BRM. No mods as of now.

Currently in the progress of a complete tear down
    The car has 250,000 miles. The Daul mass flywheel was going out. While in that task, the turbo also has been leaking around the bearing. Opened it and the VTN was plugged with soot. I followed the cam inspection and found the cam needs to be replaced. Also the bearing wear was down to the copper. I am now wondering if i should just replace the lower bearings also? Note this car is for my college son who is approximately 500 miles away.

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Active Member

Car:
    2015 Prius Four, 2014 Corolla S, 2010 Prius II, Cimbria SS
    Mods:
    n/a
    My Son lived at home to get his AS at the local Community College while still driving the 2006 BEW I handed down to him. I decided to replace it with a Prius before sending him off to College Part II...250 miles away. I already spent way to much money and time fixing that VW...without adding a 500 mile round trip to it every time I got that all to familiar call, "It's broke again Dad". Respectfully...your decision, your Son, but I would replace that 250,000 mile car. He's got enough to deal with already while away at College as it is....and I'm sure you do to. ;) YMMV

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  3. Tim06jetta

Tim06jetta New Member

Car:
    2006 jetta
    This BRM was handed down to my son 4 years ago. He has one year left at college. So I thought I would tackle this project with the idea that the car has made it to 250,000 miles with very little issues, that it would make it another 2 years. This is my first diesel and since I overhaul LS style engines as a hobby i dove both feet infirst. LOL