New 2005 TDI Passat Owner from Lansing, Michigan

Discussion in 'New TDI forum member introductions' started by Danielliam, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Danielliam

Danielliam New Member

Car:
    2005 Passat Wagon
    Hi folks!

After over a year of looking, I finally purchased my own TDI! I bought a 2005 Passat Wagon with 82k on the clock. I got it for $5700 which feels like a pretty good price (let me know what you think). Here is an album with some pics http://imgur.com/a/yhaTM I will take some of the interior later, its in pretty good shape and has no modifications.

This is kind of my second Passat wagon. My ex girlfriend had a 2004 1.8t that I was the primary mechanic for so I know about some of the quirks. I have done the half-shafts and some suspension work in her car. Needless to say, I am much more excited to work on my own.

Considering that my engine has 82k, and the timing belt looks original, I plan to replace the belt and associated parts immediately. I ordered the dieselgeek kit and will be replacing the belt as soon as it arrives. Luckily I haven't sold my Ranger yet so I have a backup for the time being.

Also, I think I may have an exhaust leak. I get a little diesel smell in the car. I am not sure if this is the exhaust or just getting used to having a tdi. I replaced the cabin air filter and it seemed to help a bit. The dealer cleaned under the hood so any exhaust marks indicating bad gaskets or manifold parts would be gone. I may have to wait and see here.

Do you have any other recommendations that I should do on this car? The fuel filter was recently done and the oil changed but I have no other maintenance records. I plan some basic creature comfort and functionality upgrades (cross bars, trailer hitch for bike carrier, double din radio, amp, and speakers). Anything else I should consider.

Thanks!

2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Could also be an oil leak burning on the exhaust manifold. Check buying guide in the FAQ here. The oil leak from valve cover breather hose is common place.

welcometomyturbodies

Danielliam likes this.
  3. Danielliam

Danielliam New Member

Car:
    2005 Passat Wagon
    Thanks, I will check that out. I appreciate the help!