Need new key and FOB

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by JE85, May 18, 2017.

1. JE85

JE85 New Member

Car:
    2006 VW Jetta TDI 1.9 BRM 5 speed manual
    I just bought a 2006 jetta tdi brm 5 speed manual with a 146k on it.
    The seller only had one key and the keyless entry fob does not work.
    I tried replacing the batteries but it still does not work.
    I had seen a video showing how to reprogram them with 1 key in the ignition and 1 in the door lock but I only have the 1 key.
    Is my only option going to the stealer?
    I have not been able to convince my self on spending $200+ on a vcds yet especially when I have a new clutch and timing belt planed in the near future.

2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Dealer will charge you 1 hour, or about 130+ tax. VCDS seems like a good buy compared to that. Keep in mind that if you wish to get a new key you also need to program the immobilzer, see the mk5 key FAQ for detailed steps.

3. thzpcs

thzpcs Member

Car:
    2008 Golf TDI
    These guys have it much cheaper, about $103 for a new key, and then they're usually pretty cheap to cut and reprogram. My dealer only charged $50 to cut and reprogram my key.

4. xeno555

xeno555 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2012 TDI Tech Package 6mt
    Mods:
    Malone Stage II. Rawtek 3" from Turbo to Tail. Slammed on Koni. TSW Nurmburg Rims. Whiteline Sway & Ends. Panzer Plate.
    Some dealers will not touch a key unless you bought it from them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2017
  5. firehawk618

firehawk618 New Member

Car:
    2001 Passat B5.5
    My local dealer wants $260 for a remote key or $130 for a valet key. This includes programming. They do not cut them. They order the key from VW.

They wanted $135 for the remote key and $70 for the valet key by themselves with no programming.

That's $125 for them to program a key / learn a remote or $60 to program a valet key.

Keep in mind you cannot program keys even with Vagcom unless you have your cluster's SKC "secret key code".

Depending on the cluster you have you may be able to retrieve it with black market tools. Vagcom cannot get you the SKC and neither can the dealer.