Need help! 2012 VW Jetta TDI cranks, no start.

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by railroad436, Oct 4, 2017.

1. railroad436

railroad436 New Member

Car:
    2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
    Please excuse my ignorance as I am not well-versed on working on cars but I have no choice as I have no money to pay anyone.

A couple of months ago I got fuel afterwork late at night and accidentally used gasoline. Fortunately, it was only 3 gallons and the dealership said no damage the engine. But, they wanted a thousand dollars to fix it which I did not have. So, I siphoned the gas out and wiped the tank clean, put 5 gallons of diesel in, I changed the fuel filter and filled the cannister with fuel, and then my battery was dead so I replaced that after failing to start it back up and then a failed jump start. But, now it cranks but it doesnt start.

I did not bleed the fuel lines so I know that is something that could be the culprit. Anything else? I do not have access to the VCDS and definitely cannot afford one. Is their any easier way to bleed my lines?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2017
  2. Peca

Peca Member

Car:
    Passat b6, 2007, 103 KW
    Don t worry it will start you yust have to crank it a lot. This engines are dificult to start after fuel filter replacment. Use some start spray.

3. railroad436

railroad436 New Member

Car:
    2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
    I have some starter fluid, where do I spray it?

It wont damage or flood the engine to keep cranking it?

4. Peca

Peca Member

Car:
    Passat b6, 2007, 103 KW
    Spray into air filter intake or directly in intake manifold, but not to much. You need somebody to crank while you spraying, you will see how engine start every time you spray. Don t worry it won't damage engine.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2017
  5. mdrake

mdrake New Member

Car:
    2010 Golf TDI 6-spd 2-door
    No no no no. No starter fluid. If you cleared all the fuel lines, you NEED to prime using VCDS. You have 3 fuel pumps, 2 you need to prime. One lift pump in the fuel tank and one auxiliary fuel pump that primes (and provides constant head pressure to) the HPFP (high pressure fuel pump). The HPFP can be damaged by trying to run with no prime as diesel itself is a lubricant. There are tons of resources online on how to prime your fuel system.

This forum has become all but useless with the terrible advice and fewer participants. I suspect most of the good folks have moved on and sold back their TDI's. Such a pity.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Dave N likes this.
  6. mrblah

mrblah Member

Car:
    VW JSW 2014 TDI 6sp
    yes but then again, if OP had researched the correct way to change his filter before, he wouldn't be clinging onto bad advice of strangers online...