MK6 Jetta front end Clunk - Strut Mounts?

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by idoseadoo, Sep 13, 2017.

1. idoseadoo

idoseadoo New Member

Car:
    2011 VW Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    GLI body kit
    Hey guys. I've been chasing a front end clunk for a while now. I replaced the dog-bone mount with an HPA (made it vibrate a lot, not recommended) and that wasn't it. Changed the lower control arm bushings, and that didn't do it either. So now I'm convinced that it's GOT to be the Strut Mount bushings. I watched a youtube video of a guy comparing OEM to the R34 brand, and it seems that the mount consists of the bushing/mount and the bearing. The bearing seems like a part that doesn't wear out, and the dealer sells them separately. Do you guys agree that the bearing is probably okay? I really don't want to order something and not need it, but again, I don't want to get in there, and not have the part to finish the job. Anyone ever replace this on an MK6? I believe the MK5 is the same.

Thanks!

2. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
    '12 Golf TDI sold to VW 2/8/17
    Have you replaced the subframe bolts?

3. Dave N

Dave N Member

Car:
    06 Golf TDI BEW 09A
    I would check your swaybar bushings. Those will make a lot of noise if worn out

4. idoseadoo

idoseadoo New Member

Car:
    2011 VW Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    GLI body kit
    I've never thought to replace subframe bolts. Would they be visibly loose or anything? Is this some sort of common issue with these cars?

I looked at the sway bar bushings and they seemed perfectly tight. I've replaced them before on Mini's and they looked just like this, and didn't make a difference to the clunk/rattle I heard in the suspension.

5. idoseadoo

idoseadoo New Member

Car:
    2011 VW Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    GLI body kit
    I also checked the springs, as someone on another form suggested they may be broken. I've never heard of a spring breaking, but there appears to be many instances of this on other people's threads. In any case, my spring looks okay on the clunky side. Can't see anything from a preliminary inspection. The car has 125K+ miles on it. The shocks feel really good still, very smooth, but I went ahead and ordered a new set of Bilstein TC and new OEM strut mounts anyway, just because I'll be taking it all apart anyway. I'll inspect and regrease the bearings, but to me, it seems like a part that doesn't wear much. If it is worn, I can get an OEM one from the dealer who claims to have them in stock.

6. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
    '12 Golf TDI sold to VW 2/8/17
    Subframe clunk is so common on MKIV - MKVI Volkswagens that it practically has its own cult following.

The subframe bolts are stretch bolts; but they are weak, so they stretch out and allow subframe movement. Take a look at where the subframe meets the frame; if there are scratch marks or areas where the dirt is disturbed from it moving, you can see it pretty easily.