MK4 Jetta Rear Door Issue: PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by NickHuott, Mar 9, 2017.

1. NickHuott

NickHuott New Member

Car:
    2002 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 5 Speed
    Mods:
    EGR/ASV Delete, Bosio PowerPlus 520 Nozzles
    Hey there! This is my first post here, but I have been a huge lurker, always coming here for help with my "new" to me 2002 Jetta TDI.

So here is my issue: When I first bought the car, the rear drivers side door did not work. No window functions, no locks, and no door ajar light when opened. After some initial research, it looked to be the door control module. I pulled the door apart, and ended up busting the door control module by not being careful.

Before I ripped the door apart, I scanned the car with VCDS and got the 01333 code: Door Control Module Rear Left (J388): Defective.

I started looking online, and found a 99.5 MK4 Jetta door in black just like mine. I picked that up last night. Before installing the door, I noticed that the 99.5 door only has 1 clip that plugs into the body harness of the car. It is the black clip, containing the larger bundle of wires. My car has 2 clips on the body harness; a black clip (with the larger bundle of wires) and a blue clip (only containing 2 wires; a black and orange, of much smaller gauge). Upon further inspection, it seems that the blue plug controls the tweeter on that door. Correct me if I am wrong there.

I installed the door, and plugged it into the car. I tried to roll down the window, and nothing. Nothing on the new door worked either, BUT, now I had a new issue. When trying to control either of the other 3 windows with the 99.5 door plugged in, the other windows will go down roughly 4-6", then stop, and then start again, and repeat that until they are all the way up or down, as long as you are holding the switch. When the 99.5 door is unplugged, all 3 windows operate properly.

What is the issue here? I doubt it is anything simple, but I am up for a challenge, and I have extensive mechanical knowledge, and a fair bit of electrical knowledge. Somebody help me out here! Summer is on its way, and I want to roll that dang window down already!!!

2. NickHuott

NickHuott New Member

Car:
    2002 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 5 Speed
    Mods:
    EGR/ASV Delete, Bosio PowerPlus 520 Nozzles
    Okay, so I went out to the car and did some scans with VCDS. Here's what it found:

Unplugged All Switched Tested: I went out, left the 99.5 door unplugged, and locked, unlocked the doors, rolled all windows up and down. I did this all from the drivers door controls.

Plugged In All Switches Tested: Same thing as above, but the 99.5 door was plugged in. (The windows did the same "go down 4", stop, then continue down for 4" or so"

Full Scan No Pre Clear: This was a full auto-scan of the whole car, without clearing any codes beforehand. This is over a month of codes I believe.

Full Scan Pre Cleared: This was a full auto-scan of the whole car, after doing the Pre Clear Scan. These are codes that came up after I cleared all of the auto-scan codes.

Hopefully these logs will provide some details about what is going on. I am going to continue searching these codes to see if I can find a root cause, but if anybody has any ideas, please, PLEASE let me know! Thanks again guys!

Attached Files:

3. Seatman

Seatman Well-Known Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    Is it an orange and black twisted pair? If so that's the can bus wires and nothing will work without them. It works like a network, signals get sent down those wires to each module for the different actions, open or close window etc.

That last page says there's no communication anyway

4. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    both are 995?? if not canot just do what ya did as wiring changes.. 99.5 has some weird crap vs 00

5. Seatman

Seatman Well-Known Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping

2002, yeh the electrics are no use to you from that door, yours is the newer can system too, think it came in late 2001 maybe even early 2002. The two systems wont communicate

6. Radzer0

Radzer0 New Member

Car:
    99 Beetle ALH 5SP
    Why change the door when you can just change the motor and latch mech and that's all the electronics in the door? Than you could get the same PN motor module.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk