Manual shifter lock in broken in lock position

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by jhickman, Jul 30, 2012.

1. jhickman

jhickman New Member

Car:
    Jetta/2006
    Can anyone provide instructions on how to replace the 02J 301 358C lock pin on a 2006 Jetta TDI 5 speed manual transmission. I believe that I have I have a transmission that is locked in the home position. The lever moves but is not removing the transmission lock.

There are a few threads on this but nothing with details on how to either unlock or replace locking pin other than saying it is a pain.

Thanks..

2. Seatman

Seatman Well-Known Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    Two 13mm bolts hold the complete shift tower part, disconnect the cables, take out the two bolts and the whole thing lifts out, you can then dismantle it and get that part out. Take pics or notes as you go and keep yourself right for putting it back together.

3. jhickman

jhickman New Member

Car:
    Jetta/2006
    I thought that there was another bolt further down in the transmission that had to be removed before the shifter tower would lift out.

Should it be hard to remove or should it come right out when the two bolts are removed and once the shift tower is removed how is the lock pin replaced cause I cannot see how it gets seated in there?

Thanks

4. Seatman

Car:
    Mods:
    Just the two bolts at the top, might need a little tap with the handle of the hammer to free it. Not sure how the lock is held in, just that you can get to it properly from inside the tower part. I remember looking at it when I was changing the bearing sleeve, bush and seal that sit in the top. The thing on the top that the cables connect to is only held on by that single nut, mark everything for putting it back together. Once that's out you'll see the lock and how to deal with it.

Also look up Almir on here, I'm sure it was him that replaced his lock when it broke on the same car.

5. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Do you mean the thing at the plastic lever at the base of the transmission shifter assembly?

6. Seatman

Car:
    Mods:
  7. Seatman

Car:
    Mods:
    Right so, get the shifter into neutral, you'll just have to break that lock some more. Once done, pop out those two bolts (13mm) then pull the whole thing out, if you want you can mark the position of the weight and remove the single 13mm nut, a little tap and the weight should come off. Once that's off your left with the housing part, on the side where the lock is is a plastic insert with a part number on it, if you can get the lock separately that's the number you'll need. You'll probably have to drill the top part out, the plastic part. Behind that is a spring etc for the locking mechanism.

When refitting the weight thing onto the shaft, my shifter has a flat on it so weight thing can only go on one way. To line it up simply look inside the gearbox, you'll see a cut out where a section on the base of the shaft fits in, it can only go in that way. refit the two 13mm bolts, set the linkage as per the dieselgeek video and you're good to go.

And one last thing, for the cables just lock the clamp parts back as per the dieselgeek video for the adjustment and slip the cables out.

The video is in the gear linkage adjustment faq

8. almir

almir Member

Car:
    2005 jetta tdi gls 1.9
    seatman is right, two bolts that hold the tower housing,

Shift into Neutral before disconnecting shifter linkages!

to make things easier and more accessible you can remove battery, battery tray, air box, then disconnect shifter linkages, and yes DO NOT FORGET TO HAVE SHIFTER IN NEUTRAL POSITION!
    this is very important it must be in neutral when you pull the tower up. When you remove the two bolts that hold the housing you might need to tap the housing left and right with little brass hammer or piece of wood and hit it with a hammer from top, and then pry it underneath with screw driver or something. I remember mine did not go up right away. And also when you lift the whole assembly out, look for the broken part that will be inside of the cup because it creates problems when cup turns left or right inside. Then pack the cup with grease really good. The "L" shape pin is little hard to pull out, try to turn it counterclockwise and keep turning while pulling at the same time and it should come out after some time. I also removed the shifter weight so that I don't accidentally shift out of the neutral with my hand. When you remove the shifter weight you will notice splines and one of them be missing or will have some type of key. Make note of key position and make sure you put the shifter weight at the same spot by aligning splines with the key. When you put the new locking pin in, don't push it in to the end unless you are ready to adjust shifter linkages. If you push it in to the end and for some reason move the shifter weight by hand, you will brake it again. When you tighten the shifter weight nut also make sure the "L" shape lock is in the unlock position, or you will brake the locking pin again.

After everything is in, fallow dieselgeek's procedure on how to adjust shifter linkages.

9. Kthor703

Kthor703 New Member

Car:
    2012 gti
    Hey all,

Just joined up because this seems like the only place that has info on this problem. I have a 2012 gti and my lever broke as well. I have the old one out and I am having trouble sliding the new one in. How did you guys do it, for those that did it with the trans still in? There is little space and the end is upsized by like. 00001mm. I appreciate all your help. Also, it doesn't seem to sit in a grove at all. Does it matter if it is installed slightly off. I imagine it just slides in the
    Hole all 360 degrees. Im afraid to drive and leak trans fluid. Thanks!

Kris

10. almir

almir Member

Car:
    2005 jetta tdi gls 1.9
    got your pm - yes it is not easy you will have to push in while turning left and right

11. Kthor703

Kthor703 New Member

Car:
    2012 gti
    How long did it take you to get it in? I feel like i've been twisting all day lol. And, yours was done with the trans in the car correct?

12. Seatman

Car:
    Mods:
    Mine was the same as almir's but I had the selector part off the box

13. Kthor703

Kthor703 New Member

Car:
    2012 gti
    I have given up for now. Mine WILL not budge. I even removed the spring so it wouldn't fight me. To stubborn. I hate that I made such a silly mistake Haha

14. Kthor703

Kthor703 New Member

Car:
    2012 gti
    This is impossible. Did you guys really just fight to twist it in? I have blisters from this. I'm going to try a little grease as per a vw mechanics advice. Maybe freeze the part to "Slightly" Shrink it.

15. prormk16

prormk16 New Member

Car:
    2002 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    EGR Delete, CAI, Straight Piped
    Have any of you guys had an issue with going into reverse and/or 5th? I have a 2002 TDI with the 02J tranny and if I screw around with that lock pin I can get it to go into reverse for a while, then it acts like reverse is "blocked off" or "locked" same thing happens in 5th occasionally...not exactly sure what the deal is or if that lock pin can be the little gremlin for all of it?

Any feedback appreicated, thanks!

16. dieselgeek

dieselgeek Site Sponsor

Car:
    2016 Golf TDI 6MT
    You likely have a bad bushing in the shift mechanism inside the cabin. There are two bushings that can go bad and one of them is in the end of the shift cable. The other is molded onto the left side of the shift lever. I have a repair part for that one, too. If either or both go bad, you cannot get full throw into the reverse or fifth gear gates.

The broken earwax colored bushing on the shift lever:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The First Gear Getter fix kit:
    [​IMG]

The new side to side cable end bushing:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  17. prormk16

prormk16 New Member

Car:
    2002 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    Thanks man! I checked it out a little more in detail today and it ended up being the bushing that the L-Shaped arm operated by the counterweight on the tranny housing. (Was split and cashed out) Will be ordering parts first thing Monday. Also I noticed when I turn the ignition on, my glow plug light only stays lit for a second then goes off right away? Even when its cold?

18. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    Ah... memories of the old Tonight Show with Johnny Carson: "How Cold Was It??" Unless you're up in Nunavut or the Yukon, the glow plug light shouldn't stay on for more than a second at this time of the year...

Yuri

19. prormk16

prormk16 New Member

Car:
    2002 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    Well what I found out of the ordinary: the car literally sat for a year, glow plug light was on for a second before I tried to start it and it fired right up...? Not complaining about it but just find it abnormal for a diesel. I understand its a small motor but the powerstroke my dad's got takes 5-10 seconds for the glow plugs to heat up enough for the truck to fire.

20. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    The light is basically a timing device to get people to wait a while before starting the car in cold weather. The glow plugs themselves are also used for emission control, so they'll be "on" after you've started the engine no matter what the light's supposedly telling you... This isn't your father's Diesel...

Yuri